Don't forget to file your taxes!

Everything Taxes

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Don't forget to file your taxes!

Postby Spizzy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 pm

4th quarter taxes for quarterly AND yearly filing will be due within 10 days or so? Don't forget to file! Filing online is significantly easier, and you can still pay by check even if you're filing online. Don't wait for the paper file to come in the mail, if you don't already have it, it isn't coming!

Since the 20th falls on a sunday this year, the due date is MONDAY, JANUARY 21st
Spizzy

Re: Don't forget to file your taxes!

Postby Kiriska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Dumb question. Who the hell do I call to change from quarterly filing to annual filing? x_x
Kiriska

Postby Ladre » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:44 am

I'm pretty sure I called one of the phone numbers on my Permit, but it was a while ago.
Ladre

Postby Spizzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 am

Kiriska wrote:Dumb question. Who the hell do I call to change from quarterly filing to annual filing? x_x

I actually got the search form to give me back useful information regarding this (what a first!)

TeleFile
(888)4-FILING (888-434-5464)

The Comptroller's office offers the opportunity to satisfy certain sales tax filing requirements by phone. TeleFile takes the place of filing a paper return for those with no taxable sales to report.

Use TeleFile to:

File your short form sales tax report (form 01-117) if you have zero taxable sales and zero tax due. Short form filers may use TeleFile even if total sales are greater than zero if no taxes are due.
File your long form sales tax report (form 01-114). You must have zero total sales, zero taxable sales and zero tax due to use TeleFile as a long-form filer.
File your past due sales tax report if you received an estimated billing but had no sales for that period.
Change your filing status from monthly to quarterly, or quarterly to yearly (you'll receive notification from us if you qualify to change your filing status).

it may not work since it says you have to have already qualified for it (??) but it's worth a shot. but they should be able to look up for past files and see you don't need to file quarterly. If I remember right, you should actually have an option during webfile to change your status from quarterly to yearly, and I think now is the only time you can do it.

Here is also the email form to request information--they're usually pretty good about responding to these https://window.state.tx.us/taxhelp/
Here's the email specifically about webfile questions: WebFileHelp@cpa.state.tx.us

And then here is the regular help number for sales and use tax: 1-800-252-5555
Number specifically for webfile help: 1-800-531-5441 ext. 3-3630

Also, if anyone ever wanted to learn more about tax stuffs, comptrollers provide free seminars all the time that you can attend. Here's the list of them (most have passed or are about to pass for this month) http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/seminars.html
Spizzy

Postby AshHavynn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm

You know, I think I tried to change to annual once and it said no.

But last year, I received a computerized call on my cell phone pretty much asking me to change to annual filing, so I did using their electronic system.

I didn't really expect them to call me to change to yearly!
AshHavynn

Postby Kiriska » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 pm

I called the regular help line, got the operator, and managed to swap to annual really easily. Lady was super nice, so yaaay.
Kiriska

Postby Foolish Mortal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am

Deos anyone know if there's a way I can get a e-statement of my sales tax? Or proof that it went through?

I filed it online for the first time and paid - expected to get some sort of receipt or something at the end. Didn't get anything.
Foolish Mortal

Postby RavenMoon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 pm

If you log back into your account and navigate through the menu options as if you were going to file, on the screen where you would normally select "file a return" you can scroll down and there is an option to select "view transaction/return history" instead. From there you should be able to access your receipts.
RavenMoon

Postby Foolish Mortal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 am

Oh awesome. Thanks!
Foolish Mortal

Postby Yume » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:08 pm

You should get a summary after you filed, which it'll suggest that you to print out for your records. But yeah, the new system keeps track too so you can even look at last year.

On another note, Filing online has been extended to Mon 6pm or Tue 11:59pm (depending on method of payment) due to technical difficulties. So those who haven't yet still have a little time so they don't get fined.
Yume

Postby chrislea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm

I ended up paper-filing again this year. Maybe next year I'll overcome my fear of that newfangled world wide web. ;D
chrislea

Postby Spizzy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 am

chrislea wrote:I ended up paper-filing again this year. Maybe next year I'll overcome my fear of that newfangled world wide web. ;D

trust me chrislea it's HELLA easier to do it online
Spizzy

Postby Yume » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:01 am

Spizzy wrote:
chrislea wrote:I ended up paper-filing again this year. Maybe next year I'll overcome my fear of that newfangled world wide web. ;D

trust me chrislea it's HELLA easier to do it online

Really easy o-o Maybe we need to make a "this is so not scary" tutorial of it, just to prove it.
Yume

Postby ShinobiOnToast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Question: I recently got a letter that seems to be a typical overdue-fine notice (no big deal there), but it has my permit listed as 'Limited Sales, Excise, and Use Tax'. Is this bad? Do I need to change it--and how do I do that, if so? Does anyone know?
ShinobiOnToast

Postby meauho » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am

ShinobiOnToast wrote:Question: I recently got a letter that seems to be a typical overdue-fine notice (no big deal there), but it has my permit listed as 'Limited Sales, Excise, and Use Tax'. Is this bad? Do I need to change it--and how do I do that, if so? Does anyone know?

That is actually fine - that is what you have.
Texas Tax Code Goes

Tax Code
Title 2: State Taxation
Subchapter E: Sales Excise and Use Taxes
Chapter 151: LIMITED SALES, EXCISE, AND USE TAX

151 is the section that pertains to general sales taxes. It is considered "Limited" because you aren't licensed to sell and tax everything in Subchapter E (there isn't a legal way to be licensed for all sections - alcohol, cars, and fireworks aren't the best companions)

The rest of the chapters pertain to sales taxes on
154: Vehicles
155: Cigarettes
156: Cigars and other tobacco products
156: Hotels
158: Trailer homes
159: Controlled Substances
160: Boats & motors
161: Fireworks
162: Fuel

*NOTE: Titles were shortened by me.
meauho