Animation Celebration Galveston

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Animation Celebration Galveston

Postby Foolish Mortal » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animation-Celebration-Galveston/567590813296175

So THESE guys just hit my inbox. - Sorry for the facebook link -its the only link they got for this show.

Anyone heard of them? I'm not even sure what vendors they are looking FOR.

I always hate when cons email me unsolicited - never sure if they are a legit show or what.
Foolish Mortal

Re: Animation Celebration Galveston

Postby Aisha » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:17 pm

I did a Google search and this is the only other thing that came up: https://squareup.com/market/animation-celebration-2
Seems they're connected to Animation Celebration in Lewisville, TX (haven't heard of either con).
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby Kiriska » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:16 am

I'm forever leery of new shows that think they have enough for a three-day track. :/
Kiriska

Postby meauho » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 am

The one in Lewisville (They want $100 for fan tables (most cons those are free), $425 for a VIP pass, $300 for a dealer booth, and $600 for a tattoo artist booth.
They better have some major backing, because their guest list is huge - either that or they are betting everything on the Brony crowd (based on the number of MLP VAs on the Lewisville Guest List).

http://animation-celebration.com/site/guests/

They are not listed on AnimeCons.com for any year - which makes me think they aren't just trying one, but two conventions in the same year.

*Note: My wife Kat made a comment - Hightower was trying to get us involved in some new conventions he's starting, so this may them.
meauho

Postby Dracontiar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 am

Animation Celebration was originally Brony Fest, but they had an opportunity to bring in guests from outside the MLP fandom, so they shifted the focus of the show, and it seems now they've completely moved away from being Brony Fest. It's run by the same people who did Space City Con, which would explain the move to Galveston. I hadn't heard about that one, but it makes sense, considering. And yes, Hightower is one of this group. I talked to the lady in charge at A-Fest quite a bit, and she certainly didn't want to shut up about the super-backing they have for their cons, and the star-studded guest lists they try and have. They also do
That being said, while Space City was a good show in August, it totally flopped when they moved it to January in Galveston. I'm hoping it was just the timing, and not the location.
I'm already signed up for the one in Lewisville this month, so I'll report back. I'm wondering if it will be helped or hampered by turning the focus away from ponies and towards Western animation in general.
Dracontiar

Postby Starrydance » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:11 am

Considering I had a table at the Brony-one, and I - can not get them - to answer an email, Id skip them.

Ive been asking for a refund for two+ months, on every avenue of contacting them. If they wont answer a Dealer that has paid simple questions like "Guys, whats the booth size now youve bought out the convention" then I cant imagine the mess on site.

Ive just given up on that booth fee ever coming back, they are supposedly sold out for the Lewisville one but how would they even know.
Starrydance

Postby paraparatara » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:25 am

Yeah - I also have a table there too.

I may go ahead and try and go, since I also cannot get a refund and at this point am frustrated by the entire situation. I could end up doing just fine there, but its also just stressing me out. No information makes me cranky.
paraparatara

Postby Starrydance » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Turns out that weekend is pants on head crazy for us so Id likely have had to back out anyway. Im still a bit tempted to just bulk buy glitter and vials and sell massive amounts of glitter for cheap.

*innocent whistle*
Starrydance

Postby Dracontiar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Starrydance wrote:Turns out that weekend is pants on head crazy for us so Id likely have had to back out anyway. Im still a bit tempted to just bulk buy glitter and vials and sell massive amounts of glitter for cheap.

*innocent whistle*

You might be evil if....
Dracontiar

Return to Other Conventions