Heart of Texas Comic Con

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Heart of Texas Comic Con

Postby tsarren » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:52 pm

I just signed up for a table. It's in Waco on March 8th and 9th. I just heard about them last weekend. Website is thehotcon.com
Here's the online signup link - prices on vendor and artist tables are being raised tomorrow (according to their FB page): http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9188857119 Artist tables are currently $85.
Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/thehotcon

According to the guy I talked to at the Sci-Fi Expo last weekend, the artists and dealers are all in the same room. He also said they'd sold 500 some odd badges in advance, and were advertising heavily on local media. I'm hoping that because this is a comic con and not an anime con, that there will be quite a few more locals willing to come out or let their kids attend.
tsarren

Re: Heart of Texas Comic Con

Postby Aisha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 pm

It's a bit tempting, but I personally am a bit hesitant about cons that aren't requiring a tax id to sign up. I have no idea if I can even make enough stock to fill a table!
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby meauho » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 am

They do have a radio show promoted prominently on their website, so that implies decent advertising for a local con.
Off the top of my head, I don't know who either Lawrence Ostwald or Aaron Foster are, but just looking at prices; their AA Tables are a little high for first year conventions, but not so high as to be unreasonable considering it's a comic con. Their Dealer tables are right in line for a first year convention, but if they get 2500 or so attendees I'd expect those to increase to the $250 range pretty quickly (depending on how many others they add).
meauho

Postby Aisha » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 pm

It also seems like they don't have a set # of tables, they're just selling through the end of today and giving that number to someone higher up. That could be good, could be bad. All the things I have to take into consideration for this con...
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Aisha

Postby tsarren » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:08 am

I'm desperate enough for income that, since I'm close enough to drive up Saturday early morning, and if they pull in at least 1,000 people, and I can borrow a friend's van and sleep in it overnight, it'll be worth it for me - even with an $85 table cost. So I jumped on it.
tsarren

Postby Aisha » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:47 am

I had to pass on this one. None of my friends are available to keep me company, plus I will not be able to make enough stock to fill a table in just a few weeks. Maybe next year, if they decide to have a second year.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Aisha

Postby tsarren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 am

This wasn't bad for a first-year con in a weird space. I made enough money to go back next year. If you want to know the drawback to this con, PM me. It's not something I care to air in a public forum.
tsarren

Return to Other Conventions