Alamo City Comic Con

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Alamo City Comic Con

Postby Dracontiar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 am

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone else had heard about this con. Last year was their debut, and according to their Facebook, they pulled something like 35k. The tables for this year seem rather on the pricey side (and there are many!), and San Antonio's one of the further cities I go to for cons. So, I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it, or worked there last year. Anything you can let me know would be helpful, thanks. :)
Dracontiar

Re: Alamo City Comic Con

Postby tsarren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 pm

I wasn't there last year, but this looks promising to me.

$200 for exposure to 35k attendees seems reasonable. That's about double the cost of tables at cons that draw a third that many. And they're 8' tables. AA is located in the exhibit hall with the dealers, so it looks like they'll be sharing dealer hours. I can't imagine them keeping the AA area open but closing off the DR space - guess it could be done - it just seems unlikely. Wishful thinking on my part, though (I hate setting up and tearing down every day).

There are a little less than 300 dealer spaces and about 300 artist tables. That's a lot, but seems proportional to the high attendance. I'll likely be doing it this year, since they moved themselves out of Oni's weekend and I don't have anything else going on in that time slot. Their table purchase site has no contract, though. If anyone knows what their refund policy is or has access to a contract, please post here.
tsarren

Postby meauho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 am

!WARNING!

Their attendance numbers are NOT counted the same as other conventions.

Most non-Fan events (and even some fan events like NYCC and SDCC) count a person each day they come as a new person (example: 3 day pass = 3 people).
Alamo City Comic Con DID NOT have more attendees than A-Kon. It is actually smaller than San Japan - they just count their attendance differently.

This is not a negative comment on the event - fan cons are weird that they count their attendance differently than everybody else. Alamo City is just following the standard counting method instead of the fan-convention alternate.
meauho

Postby Kiriska » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:09 am

Ah, that makes sense. Still, ~11kish (35k/3) is really good for a first year show.
Kiriska

Postby Proz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 pm

meauho wrote:!WARNING!

Their attendance numbers are NOT counted the same as other conventions.

Most non-Fan events (and even some fan events like NYCC and SDCC) count a person each day they come as a new person (example: 3 day pass = 3 people).
Alamo City Comic Con DID NOT have more attendees than A-Kon. It is actually smaller than San Japan - they just count their attendance differently.

This is not a negative comment on the event - fan cons are weird that they count their attendance differently than everybody else. Alamo City is just following the standard counting method instead of the fan-convention alternate.

Uh, I attended ACCC, and I can attest it was substantially bigger than SJ. 35k? Might be fudging but I could tell it was double our size as they picked up nearly the same amount of space as SJ. It was impossible to park in a half-mile radius of the convention center. The lines to get passes were wrapped around the hall and the Fire Marshals had to constantly cap to get in.
Proz

Return to Other Conventions