Anime Matsuri 2014

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Anime Matsuri 2014

Postby tachiik » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:17 am

Just wondering. who else went! I'll put in my 2 cents later.
tachiik

Re: Anime Matsuri 2014

Postby radtastical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I was there
radtastical

Postby tachiik » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 am

hehe that great en......i think it's agreed that everyones sales were waaaay down from the years before
tachiik

Postby Zynchilada » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Yeah, mine were down whole third compared to last year (the only other year I've gone), and I had a half table and whole lot less variety of stuff last time. :/ Really disappointing considering the supposed amount of attendees.
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby oanhderbread » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:30 pm

I heard that the artist alley was in the dealers room this year. If that's the case, then y'all would have to close the same time the dealers do, yea? That would be around 6 or 7. If that's true then sales, in my opinion, would take a hit).

Are y'all thinking of going back next year?
oanhderbread

Postby Kiriska » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I wasn't there, but I didn't realize they'd moved to the GRB until I saw some cosplay photos there. The GRB is huuuuuuge. x_x Did they fill that space okay? :/
Kiriska

Postby Angrypandagin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Yeah same 1/3 of last years sales and I had a ton of new stuff this year.
Angrypandagin

Postby Zynchilada » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 pm

They filled the space a lot better then Comicpalooza, since they only used one hall instead of two/three. It seemed like the booths in the dealer's area always had quite a few people browsing whenever I turned around to look. I never had a chance to actually leave the Exhibit hall during the hours it was open, but my friends told me there were super long lines to get in. But there were still traffic issues, I guess cause people just didn't care to go to the Alley.

Hours were 12-8, 10-8, and 10-4, but it was more like 1 or 2pm by the time they opened on Friday, as they waited on some of the dealers to set up before letting people in. They might have delayed opening on Saturday as well but I don't remember.

(Matsuri's facebook said there were 19,000+ attendees, btw, but from the crowds in the alley and the sales I made, it may had well have been Comicpalooza or Ikkicon, not an almost-A-kon.)

I'm glad i went cause i got to talk a lot of charm shop stuff with Esther of ejwp, which gave me the inspiration to make some good changes on how to make my charms sturdier. I guesssss I'll go again next year, cause I did end up making profit. There has to be some way we can talk to Leon and the organizers to help improve stuff, but honestly I don't really know what to suggest to fix it. Signage directing people to the Alley? Moving it into the tiny hallways?? Moving the Alley to the other side of the exhibit hall??

EDIT: OH Also, there were a bunch of empty tables, and I know a few people ended up moving to fill them so they could be closer/facing inward toward the entrance. So there definitely should have been less empty tables, 'cause that probably hurt a bunch of people that ended up being unlucky enough to get stuck at the far end of the hall
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby tsarren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:08 am

Oh, they filled the space - that's the problem; the exhibition hall (with artists, dealers, special guests, and I think other con tables) was apparently bigger than their usual space for those, and Leon said they had both more artists and more dealers than in previous years. No idea if attendance scaled to match or not, but it sounded like not.

I was down 30% from the previous two years, but it was still worth it (I stay with friends, so no hotel cost). I keep wanting to upgrade to a dealer's table because I have so much stuff to schlep, but cost (two years ago it was $400, asked Leon this year and he said it was $600) plus the fact that they might very well be in the same place next year, which means no daily set up / tear down, plus not sure if they're actually going to decrease the numbers of artists and dealers next year (Leon understood the issue but I imagine he can only do so much) is motivating me to stay with the AA.

Bootlegs were perhaps abundant - sticker guy had a corner dealer table. There were at least two artists with perler bead sprites; I didn't have a chance to look around. That was what I saw just walking to the bathroom, and out of the exhibition hall at the end of each day. So I walked past maybe 15% of dealer tables (after they were closed) and 25% of the AA tables.

The exhibition hall where we all were located closed at 8pm on both Friday and Saturday, so not bad, but from years past AM's scheduling seems to generate a big crowd of AA shoppers from about 7:30 till 9:30pm or so. Definitely saw an influx of people around 7:15 until close on Saturday night this time. It closed at 4 on Sunday, and Sunday sales were entirely reasonable.

There was about 3' of space behind each table - not luxurious, but the minimum I expect and certainly workable for me despite the amount of stuff I need access to during a show. Helps to know your neighbors (my neighbor request was honored). What was really great were the gaps between the sides of each table - I could move around my table at will without having to go find the 'exit' from an island.
tsarren

Postby meauho » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 am

tsarren wrote:Bootlegs were perhaps abundant - sticker guy had a corner dealer table.

That was actually Aardvark Tees/ Aardvark Screenprinting. They also had illegal contact lens sales. Some bootleggers got shut down by FUNimation, but it seems that anybody that FUNi couldn't directly show had bootlegs of their products got to stay.
meauho

Postby Alicechan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:25 pm

I was disappointed. I made profit but I just don't think it would be worth going again. I made more at ikkicon and I thought ikki was a much smaller con. I felt the crowd to be much much younger than I expected. It really showed the importance of having fan art to sell, cause honestly that was all they wanted. (if it was original they asked if it was fan art even. u.u;; ) I don't know if I will go back. I went to Matsuri as an attendee long ago and did not have a good time. I feel like I help bring the bad luck every year I go. <.>;;
Alicechan

Postby Starrydance » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Thats a real shame Matsuri wasnt great for everyone, we went a few times and it was just too oddly timed for us personally to keep on the yearly schedule.
Starrydance

Postby tsarren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

meauho wrote:
tsarren wrote:Bootlegs were perhaps abundant - sticker guy had a corner dealer table.

[color=#008000]
That was actually Aardvark Tees/ Aardvark Screenprinting. They also had illegal contact lens sales. Some bootleggers got shut down by FUNimation, but it seems that anybody that FUNi couldn't directly show had bootlegs of their products got to stay.
[/color]

I thought five buck decal was sticker guy? Am I mistaken? Five buck decal was on a banner on the wall in the booth space.
tsarren

Postby Proz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm

tsarren wrote:
I thought five buck decal was sticker guy? Am I mistaken? Five buck decal was on a banner on the wall in the booth space.

Two different people. 5 Dollar Decal Guy might be a new thorn.

Sticker Guy sells copyrighted sticker logos of different colors. Runs Animeland Wasabi.
Proz

Postby tachiik » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm

i saw one sticker person. They were a dealer i think. they were selling silos of anime characters. is that the one one everyone's talking about?

ALSO for the whole dealers artist alley drama *_*. I have to say sales HURT because #1 there was NO SIGNAGE anywhere!!!! Also there were several doors that lead into the dealer/art area HOWEVER they only allowed 1 door open...not even the double door ONE DOOR!!!!! with a security person scanning everyone. There was a line in the morning to get into the dealers room and it seem to be a lot of people. but not really....
tachiik

Next

Return to Other Conventions