Anime Matsuri 2014

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: Anime Matsuri 2014

Postby meauho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 am

5 Dollar Decal was a whole new person, he didn't actually have as much stuff as Aardvark, and his was different material than Isiah Miller-Timmons (the infamous "Sticker Guy"). That, coupled with the fact that Isiah is most often paired with other booths now because nobody with half a brain will let him in on his own is why I thought you were mentioning Aardvark.
meauho

Postby radtastical » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 pm

I did pretty poorly. I've never been before and I was expecting Akon level sales based on the attendance, but just didn't see that many sales. My tablemate and I started off facing the wall in the back corner, but we got to move at noon on Saturday. (No complaints at all toward the AA staff, they were super nice and communicative and willing to listen to our request, and even helped us move our table) Sales increased once we moved, but still not to the point I wanted them to be. I only did about $75 better than my worst con (which was San Japan last year)

I feel like being in the same room as the dealers might have hurt sales? There wasn't any real differentiation between who were dealers and who were artists, and we were kind of at the end of the room, and I think a lot of people had already spent the majority of their money before they got over to us. I'm not really sure how they could set that up differently though, since there's just the one big exhibit hall instead of multiple rooms like in a hotel. And I feel like there was just...a LOT of different places for people to spend money all in one room, so people could only spend a little at each booth.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it to go back again. I did make a profit, but I'm gonna keep my eyes open for other shows that could replace this one for next year.
radtastical

Postby Starrydance » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Im not sure if any other shows actually have Akon numbers, I think Matsuri is one of those that counts a person three times if they have a three day pass. As far as Im aware its Akon > Animefest > San Japan? > and the rest are scattered and about the same. Meauho would know much more than I!
Starrydance

Postby tachiik » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am

Yea i kind of doubt the number that they were saying they were having. It might have something to do with the venue because it is large but usually there is a HUGE line getting into the dealers room and there was a line but it was like...not that long. They did fill that concert area from the pictures that i saw but i don't know what that stadium holds tho. But if you were there and looked at the dealers room you'd probably have the same idea as me
tachiik

Postby Alicechan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah...They claimed on their facebook that they will be the largest con in Texas by next year. I always thought Akon was much bigger. Matsuri did make #10 on the top 10 cons in North America of 2013 tho..
Alicechan

Postby radtastical » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Oh hmm I dunno if they count people like that (3 day badge = 3 people). The vendor's/artist alley area always seemed way emptier than it should have been but at one point I had to go up to the second and third floors looking for someone and there were TONS of people up there. They just seemed to...not always come down to where we were haha.
radtastical

Postby meauho » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:26 am

radtastical wrote:Oh hmm I dunno if they count people like that (3 day badge = 3 people). The vendor's/artist alley area always seemed way emptier than it should have been but at one point I had to go up to the second and third floors looking for someone and there were TONS of people up there. They just seemed to...not always come down to where we were haha.

There were a lot of people on the 3rd floor - but having gone througg the 3rd floor, about half were in the halls. There simply weren't enough people upstairs to account for the stated attendance.

I go to a lot of non-fan events at yhe GRB and events that I know count turn-style with close the the same attendance fill out crowds the same.
meauho

Postby Proz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 am

Just to throw in speculation as they do have Hot Import Nights next door. Unsubstantiated if that counts too.
Proz

Postby meauho » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Proz wrote:Just to throw in speculation as they do have Hot Import Nights next door. Unsubstantiated if that counts too.

Very true, and I wasn't in there when there were actual attendees... and I do tend to forget about it because it doesn't have a history of having a huge cross-attendance.
meauho

Previous

Return to Other Conventions