Comicpalooza 2014

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Comicpalooza 2014

Postby Kiriska » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Returning vendor registration went live a few days ago and stays at a discounted price until the 27th, when presumably it opens up to new vendors. Is anyone planning to go?

Since A-kon isn't the weekend directly after Comicpalooza next year, they aren't back-to-back, and I don't know that I want to either fly into Texas twice or stay for a three week duration. :/ Sales were flat for me between 2012 and 2013, despite their "77% growth." I like the con well enough and I've done all right there the last three years, but I'm kind of skeptical about future sales growth and it probably isn't worth it for me to fly in separate from A-kon. And especially since Comicpalooza's reg is so much earlier than A-kon's reg, I dunno if I'd be able to hit them both anyway. Blargh.

Was thinking about other Memorial Day options for next year, but both the contenders (Fanime, MomoCon) don't have AA info available yet. ~_~
Kiriska

Re: Comicpalooza 2014

Postby Foolish Mortal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Definitely going in some fashion. They got Mignola as a guest, sort of have to show up to gibber at him in some capacity.

But not sure if I want to work it this year. It's local for me - so less gamble. Though I'm still hesitant, especially for four days. My sales were fairly flat these last two years. The venue was too big for all they had and didn't have and I'm not sure this next year is going to be much better.
Foolish Mortal

Postby Kiriska » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Ugh, I completely forgot that they were going four-day. It's far too soon for that, imo, though even with that it wouldn't be nearly as big an issue to me if I were still local...and if actual locals like you are still 'well, maybe' then maybe that's a sign I should skip next year. XD;;
Kiriska

Postby Foolish Mortal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am

I'm naturally cautious - so I'm not sure I'm a good barometer to go by.

Though yea - I do agree - I'm not sure this con needs to be four days. It feels like they are artificially expanding this con before it's ready. It really didn't need all the space it had last year and I'm afraid its going to be stretched too thin this year also.

EDIT - Looks like they are out of full tables, so I went and got a half table. Less gamble - less fuss. This works for me this year.
Foolish Mortal

Postby Kiriska » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Ha, whelp, them selling out of full tables that fast sure makes the decision easy for me. I guess I'll try to hit up Fanime or MomoCon next year instead.

Will be curious to see how Comicpalooza continues to grow though. They've gotten some pretty big name guests, so I'm sure numbers will keep climbing, but whether that means anything for vendor sales remains to be seen I suppose.
Kiriska

Postby chrislea » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 am

I would like to, but I did so badly this year, I decided I'd better sit 2014 out. If I can get away that weekend, I'd still like to go as an attendee. It is enjoyable to wander around, and I never really get the chance to do that when I'm manning a table.
chrislea

Postby meauho » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I wanted to put this out: after some internal stuff last year, myself and the entire Operations staff (Dealers Coordinator, AA Coordinator, Dockmaster, and ALL of the volunteers) are no longer involved with Comicpalooza.

This is partly (but not entirely) due to the fact that the AA was oversold by 150% (150+ tables) and the Dealer Room was oversold by 60 booths - despite guarantees that nobody over my head and keep adding tables after we were sold out.

Before resigning, I provided Comicpalooza and the GRB with a map of exactly how it should be laid out, with the correct number of booths.
I do not expect them to honor the layout since it requires shedding 60% of the AA and 25% of the Dealers.
meauho

Postby Foolish Mortal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:36 am

meauho wrote:I wanted to put this out: after some internal stuff last year, myself and the entire Operations staff (Dealers Coordinator, AA Coordinator, Dockmaster, and ALL of the volunteers) are no longer involved with Comicpalooza.

This is partly (but not entirely) due to the fact that the AA was oversold by 150% (150+ tables) and the Dealer Room was oversold by 60 booths - despite guarantees that nobody over my head and keep adding tables after we were sold out.

Before resigning, I provided Comicpalooza and the GRB with a map of exactly how it should be laid out, with the correct number of booths.
I do not expect them to honor the layout since it requires shedding 60% of the AA and 25% of the Dealers.

Well crap - I am sorry to hear that. I really liked the staff in years past.

So glad I'm only eating a half table cost this year, sounds like this year is probably going to hurt.
Foolish Mortal

Postby meauho » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:59 pm

If you are on the wait-list for Comicpalooza's artist alley, I have a Good News/ Bad News announcement (or maybe Bad News/ Bad News - depending on how you look at it).

They filled according to the maps that I left, which is why there is a wait list.

Good News (or bad, depending on perspective): They have decided to redraw the maps to add more tables (at least on the dealer side, not positive about the AA side).

Bad News: Even if they add more tables to the AA - you may not come off the wait-list. Certain artists are being given tables that were never on the wait-list. These artists did receive the email letting them know that the AA was open for sales, but are now complaining that they didn't get in (or even wait listed) because they completely failed to sign up... but they should be allowed tables because they have been going to Comicpalooza for 2,3,4, or every year.

I would like to note; this is one of the issues that lead to having 2.5 TIMES as many Artist Tables, 3 TIMES as many dealer tables, and Exhibitor tables that had sales - PLUS tables being added on site. The fact that last year's AA was larger than I had been promised the entire sales section would be is one of the reasons I left Comicpalooza.
meauho

Postby Aisha » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:50 pm

meauho wrote:Bad News: Even if they add more tables to the AA - you may not come off the wait-list. Certain artists are being given tables that were never on the wait-list. These artists did receive the email letting them know that the AA was open for sales, but are now complaining that they didn't get in (or even wait listed) because they completely failed to sign up... but they should be allowed tables because they have been going to Comicpalooza for 2,3,4, or every year.

UGH! I hate how some people think they get priority just because they've been to the convention before. I understand if a con chooses to offer tables to previous attendees first, then open reg to the public, but that should be made known BEFORE sign-ups happen.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby meauho » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:38 am

Aisha wrote:
meauho wrote:Bad News: Even if they add more tables to the AA - you may not come off the wait-list. Certain artists are being given tables that were never on the wait-list. These artists did receive the email letting them know that the AA was open for sales, but are now complaining that they didn't get in (or even wait listed) because they completely failed to sign up... but they should be allowed tables because they have been going to Comicpalooza for 2,3,4, or every year.

UGH! I hate how some people think they get priority just because they've been to the convention before. I understand if a con chooses to offer tables to previous attendees first, then open reg to the public, but that should be made known BEFORE sign-ups happen.

I hate the "Whine and I get what I want" attitude. I'll admit, I've complained to a convention before:
1. it isn't just against Federal Law to sell contacts without a prescription, it's against Texas law to sell them at temporary venues, AND you have to have a permit from the state if you aren't a state licensed optometrist.
2. If I pay more for my booths to be in a different location, or to be the only vendor with a certain product line - and you decide to move me because somebody else whined, or you won't remove a dealer who won't quit selling what they were told not to bring, then I want a refund (and I likely won't be back). It's a contract violation and for the some of the prices I've paid it transitions from misdemeanor to State Felony.

That having been said; I've never cried, cussed, and threatened a convention to add me to their dealer room or artist alley because I was too stupid to sign up - and the kind of people who do I don't want at a convention anyway, they are only going to keep demanding more.
meauho

Postby Starrydance » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Some folks dont bother to sign up for conventions, because they know they can just call up the chain and end up getting in regardless if it messes up the final count or someone off the waitlist is boned.
Starrydance

Postby Foolish Mortal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 am

Oh yay - news of this con just gets better and better.

Here's hoping things are at least salvageable this year.
Foolish Mortal

Postby meauho » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:45 pm

I have spoken with several artists and dealers this weekend who are NOT happy with me. Per them, I am being blamed for some stuff that was (technically) my department - but that I did not have actual control over.

The biggest complaint is the layout. To address this, I have am posting the link (and opening the permissions to public) to the layout I proposed for Comicpalooza. This is what the layout SHOULD have been (and should be for 2014).

Map Link: http://tinyurl.com/CPLayout (Google Docs, PDF)

Color Key
Orange: Exhibitors - NO SALES
Yellow: Artists
Blue: Dealers
Purple: Specialty and Guests

Feel free to give the link to this to anybody you want.
meauho

Comicpalooza 2014

Postby meauho » Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Looks like Comicpalooza is announcing Stan Lee tomorrow.
meauho

Next

Return to Other Conventions