AnimeFest 2014

Discuss conventions and convention artist alleys here

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

AnimeFest 2014

Postby Britt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Hiya!

I didn't see a thread started and with the con a little more than a week away...figured might a good time to post something!
Britt

Re: AnimeFest 2014

Postby Starrydance » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm

I think everyones busy! Hah!

Ive got one of those "day jobs" and so Im just swarmed and never any energy for art stuff.

I (should!) be in the Dealers Room this year - Ive sent off an email asking for a deferral to next year but Ill still show up either way. The Art Show should be off the wall amazing from the teasers Ive seen from the artists painting!
Starrydance

Postby oanhderbread » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:29 pm

How was AFest, guys? I went as an attendee this year. I liked how the BB (or AA) was spaced out. Lots of wiggle room. It was way crowded when I was exploring and a little hard to look at things. AFest grew a bit IMO compared to last year. Usually we stay, but it was exhausting so we left early Sunday. :( Missed out on skit contest and slept until the next day. FLOW was capped out. A few other panels were capped out or canceled. ;(

Hope you guys all did well! I think I'll be joining y'all back on the artist floor next year. ;)
oanhderbread

Postby Aisha » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

The Artists Alley (aka Bizarre Bazaar) looked better this year! All of the artists I passed by were super nice, and not distracted by their phones/tablets (like many of the dealers I stopped at).

I may also be joining next year. Depends on a whole lot of factors.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby tsarren » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 pm

By Friday at 4pm I had done double the sales of any previous Friday at A-Fest in the past 5 years. I asked Ethan what had changed, and he said that last year, badge count was 7k total. This year, 4pm Friday, it had already hit 7k. I don't know what final count was, but the spike in attendance made for a respectable gain in sales in the DR, and an obvious increase in foot traffic there as well. And to boot, they didn't increase their DR table prices for next year. Not that I think a single-year spike would justify it... I'd want to see growth or growth-then-stable for two consecutive years before I'm happy with fees going up.
tsarren

Postby Starrydance » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:52 am

I did okay considering my mini table and being in the back!

Next year the weekend is again on the four day holiday, and the year after its early again.

So that will assist in figuring out what weekend it should be, I guess.

I was glad to be wrong about the "oh dear, maybe no one will show up". Seemed pretty steady all weekend people wise.
Starrydance

Postby Alicechan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:43 pm

I don't know how to feel about afest. I was surprised that the numbers where the same for me, cause the con felt a lot slower. Even more surprised that a few people showed up on Monday. (I wasn't expecting anyone! lol) I thought the artists were packed in a good bit. (at least my row) I think the best tables where on end caps and on the main drag. I was next to a pillar and it basically acted like an empty table all weekend. I think it would have been better to not make the pillars as part of the row of tables.
Also trying to receive help from the artist alley staff was a bit more difficult than it has been in the past? I'm not quite sure why that is. I'm personally not attending next year because it competes with another con I'd like to attend, but if it goes back to its weird-4-day-con-but-not-on-a-holiday-weekend I guess I would be up for it. ^^;
Alicechan

Return to Other Conventions