Akon 2012 Feedback and all of that jazz

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: Akon 2012 Feedback and all of that jazz

Postby Ladre » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:00 am

I didn't think about how a bunch of tables might be added next year. It's not like it will stop me from wanting to go though =3 I just hope it won't be like that one AnimeFest when it was like omgg best convention ever and then they added a jillion tables in a bunch of different locations and pfft. I was looking at the Anatole and it seems so tiny compared to the Sheraton? Is A-Kon counting on other nearby hotels like the Renaissance making up for that or is the hotel just bigger than it looks I wonder~
Ladre

Postby Starrydance » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 pm

The TexasArtistAlleys one was really awesome of Proz to hop to it and get one together when starcrossed crashed.

Just we all feel better having this one, the "official Akon AA" one in staff hands, not for OMGPARANOID! reasons, more Hastur can call me and say "do this to the forums" or "hey they crashed, go poke Ryan".

Besides, we bought this URL just for this the last time they crashed and never did anything with it.
Starrydance

Postby tachiik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 am

Finally i'm getting around to doing this. I'm going to try to remember as much as i can. If you came and visited me and said hi!!! THANK YOU for your support old friends and new!

Thursday: I got there around 7 to pick up my table and ticket stuff. I loved the fact that it was painless and i got my table within minutes. I was next to :iconladre: downstairs. There as a little tiff going on with my friends table but we won't get into that cause it was kind of crappy. (totally not the con fault) I was shocked at how much people were in line getting tickets. Normally when i get there on thursday it was kind of stragglers and a few people. but this was A LOT of people. Set up  my display and got out of there! woot.

Friday: got there early set up and started selling. there were SOOOO MANY PEOPLE!!!!!! but i guess i should be used to that as far as a kon goes. Did really well for the day. Can't remember anything special happening i guess. I was in my American Macgee alice dress and got a lot of photos taken...that's about it. Left at around 11. This year I was also trying out my artist auction part of the convention and just littered my panel with stuff.
There was a thing going on with the parking. So when i got there there was a guy taking money and it's 5$ for the parking and he gives you a ticket. there is a machine usually that does everything. HOWEVER!!!! the ticket runs out at 6pm and you had to get another ticket! which is kind of WTF. So I got there about 10 minutes before 6 to see if i can renew the ticket and i started to chat with some of the guys there turns out the machine doesn't reset until 6PM so we had to wait for the machine to roll over HOWEVER before i got there, there were peole who paid and has went into the hotel which means by 6 their ticket will run out. The meter maid was there in full force and i saw sooo many boots on cars. A couple of guys just got their removed because they scooched their car up a little without knowing tha tthere was a chalk mark on their tires already. The line got longer and eventually a meter maid took out a pen and pencil and had wrote 10$ and scotch taped it on the parking lot sign. Thankfully they set up the machine where you didn't have to pay twice the next day. but it sucked for some people because they are parked in this lot and tickets run out at 5AM so unless they want a boot they have to wake up goto parking lot get ticket and go back to the hotel.

Saturday: the day started a little slow and picked up by afternoon and onto the night. Tons of people again. I tried to go outside to look around and came back right away because it was just so crowded. I was sitting in front of the little tape area they set up and that was interesting, it went from horrible emo music, to dacing with hula hoops, to belly dancing and by the time the wiffle bat fighting people came back i was so happy cause that meant the stop of weird music...let's just say i listened to "my heart will go on" club mix....WTF. I did most of my con swag on this day. I got a set of 24 copic markers...a new wig for my dollie and more copic markers. Also did a AWSOME TRADE with my neighbor she did me the MOST AMAZING DRAWING!!!! of Kurama. i was so happy.

Sunday: by this time i'm pretty lazy and got there later, it was very slow as expected and it's a nice change of pace. Slowly it picked up as people woke up and probaly had to deal with elevator hell and getting stuff out of hotel room hell. My friend told me that two of my pieces got into the artist auction!!! shock! i totally forgot about that was going on but was glad that some of my stuff got in there. I picked the ones that didn't have a bid on it at 3. There was a okami picture i did that someone bid on but didn't pay for but whatever i liked that picture and i didn't want it to sell anyways. i like to hoard my own art apparently.

Overall I did really really well, this is the best i've done at a con since i started doing cons!!!! So pretty happy about that. I also heard that my friends did really well and this was their best con which is really good to hear. THANK GOODNESS i had 2 of my friends helping me because this weekend was just insanely busy. I sold out a lot of my posters, more keychains that i though which is surprising and as usual, buttons....which puts me back into button hell. ALso sold lots of badges. I still haven't even gotten everything out of my car because i dont' want to see the impending doom of re stocking.

Pros: FOOD TRUCK!!!!! OMG!!!! on saturday it was such a plesant surprise to find them right outside of the hotel. There was a vietnamese bahn mi sandwich truck and a ice cream sandwich truck. the sandwich was HUGE!!!!!  :iconwhiteoblivion: told me that there were 4 total after I left, wonder what trucks they were. I kind of wished they came back on sunday tho. The helpers were really nice they came around 2-3 times to ask if i needed anything.

Cons: i've noticed through the year that A-kon has become not a very cosplay friendly place. There are not much cosplay in general, instead it was a "wear whatever i want" kind of situation. There was not even the usual hoard of bleach or naruto cosplayers. I guess that is going out of style? This is probably why the photographers that I know dont' come anymore. Mabye moving into the new convention center will help. It didn't bother me much but i guess upstairs was really warm!!

WTF: There were so many people selling food at the convention, i'm not talking about the food trucks but INSIDE OF THE CONVENTION CENTER. which i find amusing, there is the usual snack people in the dealers room but downstairs i found, bread sellers walking around the floor, Genghis grill people with pre made food bowls peddling around....heck even behind my artist table there were people with a RICE COOKER!!!! (had to have a double take on that) and apparently was portioning out chinese food!!! haha. WTF.  ALSO i know you see a lot of WTF at conventions....but I went to the bathroom downstairs and a girl has pretty opened a hair salon in the bathroom. she had all her paul mitchel stuff on the sink and was going to town on this girl's hair with her scissors. not to mention there was hair everywhere on the floor.

NEXT STOP TOKYO IN TULSA!!!!!!
tachiik

Postby Yume » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Guys, I just got a call from the Sheraton. They are saying I didn't pay the cash for the hotel and have been trying to get the cash out of my account. Even though I have a receipt for check-out saying the amount I paid, even though they told me everything was paid for, even though I had two other people with me at check-in, they are saying there is no video/proof of me giving them cash. I'm going down in person to refute this on Monday with the manager. If that fails I'm calling corporate.

Just a heads up, if you paid part in cash you may want to check your bank accounts to make sure they didn't charge extra ;-; They sure didn't give me a warning, they just called because they depleted my account and wanted more. Someone at the Sheraton is being dishonest

*very distraught* ;____;
Yume

Postby paraparatara » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Akon was really interesting when comparing it to last year.

Last year my sales were really good, and I was pleased but this year I did SO much better. I attribute a lot of that to knowing what people like of what I do now, and focusing on that instead of segmenting my business so much.

I did not get to set up Thursday. I was staying at the Indigo, and while I don't mind the walk between locations i wasn't going to do it alone either.

Picked up badge on Friday morning, and quickly set up. I have a great friend who is super good at helping me get my table together and we were off and running. I had finished off most of my stock, but I did bring a small amount of items to quickly work on (ie earrings that could be quickly turned) which worked out very well. Steady sales all day and I closed up about 10pm

Opened at 9-10am the next morning. Sales were extremely slow all day, I had barely hit Friday's numbers by 5pm. I was a little discouraged, but not disappointed. As the night wore on, sales began to trickle in faster. Became super thankful that my cell phone decided to reliably run my square reader, because that helped with some sales (about 90% cash to 10% card), as last year my reader wouldn't send a signal out. Stayed open until 1am... which is insane for me. I only closed because my friends were getting on to me for still being open, and we had places to go that evening.

Sunday I opened at 10am (mostly conscious) and had sales that topped Friday, but were nowhere near Saturday. I attribute some of that to the fact that I engineered some grab bags, and it interested people in stock that i haven't been able to move in a year and a half. (I took the time to make sure the grab bag contents coordinated, and then I wrote on the outside of the bags what type of item it was and its main color group - which helped a TON) on Saturday afternoon.

All in all - awesome con, loved my location, my neighbor was quite nice, and I was happy that i got in. I plan on trying again for next year!
paraparatara

Postby Starrydance » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:13 am

Yume wrote:Guys, I just got a call from the Sheraton. They are saying I didn't pay the cash for the hotel and have been trying to get the cash out of my account. Even though I have a receipt for check-out saying the amount I paid, even though they told me everything was paid for, even though I had two other people with me at check-in, they are saying there is no video/proof of me giving them cash. I'm going down in person to refute this on Monday with the manager. If that fails I'm calling corporate.

Just a heads up, if you paid part in cash you may want to check your bank accounts to make sure they didn't charge extra ;-; They sure didn't give me a warning, they just called because they depleted my account and wanted more. Someone at the Sheraton is being dishonest

*very distraught* ;____;

What the.. what?

You have a receipt, dont back down. Your receipt IS your proof. Someones being a greedy jerk.
Starrydance

Postby Foolish Mortal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 am

Yume wrote:Guys, I just got a call from the Sheraton. They are saying I didn't pay the cash for the hotel and have been trying to get the cash out of my account. Even though I have a receipt for check-out saying the amount I paid, even though they told me everything was paid for, even though I had two other people with me at check-in, they are saying there is no video/proof of me giving them cash. I'm going down in person to refute this on Monday with the manager. If that fails I'm calling corporate.

*very distraught* ;____;

Holy crap what? Like Starry says - you've got your receipt so just stick to your guns.

Sadly I wish I could say I am surprised. But Sheraton tried to do something backhanded involving our hotel reservation,(not my reservation but the room I had a stake in) and thus "losing" our reservation and making us cram 9 folks into a single room with one bed.

I definitely will not miss the Sheraton next year.
Foolish Mortal

Postby Yume » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Foolish Mortal ;-; You planned on and paid for a large room, you should get one. That's really messed up considering I was late Thursday night and they gave me a choice between two large single-bed rooms. I had a suite booked for A-fest at the Sheraton later this year but I dunno if I'll stay there now.

The night manger (the only manager I could talk to at the time) said there should have been 2 receipts, one on check-in and one on check-out. I asked for a receipt on check-in but the lady said the receipts were given on check-out (which I have) but the manager says that's not proof enough. But he also said a bunch of bogus stuff like "they were only holding the cash for you and you'd get it back on check-out" and "it was a computer error" etc. They are suppose to have security video of the counter, but they are saying they "reviewed" the video and said there was no cash. But me, Kiiyame, and my friend were there for a really long time (Like maybe 10-15 min) and spread the money on the counter, counted it, gave it to the staff, they counted it... there is no way to miss this cash. The night manager left for like 3 mins and came back in a strong tone and told me "YOU DID NOT PAY" and kept repeating it no matter what I said ;-; There's no way he reviewed the video himself in that time, but he decided to assume I was a lying punk kid who skipped the bill and treated me like one.

Which is why I and my mother (who has done accounting and managing for years) are going up there to refute it with the manager tomorrow. I have a receipt of them agreeing with the amount I paid and if there's a video there will be cash all over that video. I know the times, I have witness, I remember what the staff looks like, I have bank statements, I have their voice message claiming the amount due, if they claim there wasn't cash on their own videos and still won't take responsibility I'll talk to their corporate and if I must file a claim with the police.
Yume

Postby The Glen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:17 pm

I am finally recovering, A-Kon nearly killed me. I MADE SO MUCH MONEY. No real problems with the convention, I had a premo table location, no problems with the staff and only minorly annoying clingers, and sold more on Saturday than I have at all the other cons this year combined. Only gripes were with the truck that took out I45 on the way up, guy that spiked my cousin's drink (she was okay, just very tipsy), and some random guy that kept trying to hit on women by my booth, scaring away other women. Since nothing went wrong, I really didn't know what to do.

For those people that asked, my website email is:

Azarkarde.com The card wasn't exactly clear it seemed.
The Glen

Postby Electriksunshine » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 am

john yume - you can file a fradulent claim with your bank too. you can show them the receipt and the voicemails and whatnot, and they can yoink those funds right out of the sheraton's hands. My bank was AWESOME when my electric company double charged me one month and tried to claim it was legit. :(

good luck!
Electriksunshine

Postby Buzzard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:54 am

Repost is a repost!

BestConEver.jpg
BestConEver.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

This was The Best.
Con.
Ever.

Celestia's beard, I have never made this much American Dollar at a convention before-- including the ones where I cleaned up at the art shows-- and it was pretty much all thanks to Bronies. I sold ALL THE PONY. Seriously, I sold right the hell out of almost everything pone-related; I haven't sold out of that many things ever, not in all eighteen years of convention art selling put together. I brought two hundred badge clips with me-- two hundred-- and I ran out halfway through Saturday. I sent a friend out to OffDep to get me a hunnerd-twenny more, and I ran out of them Saturday around closing time. I counted four other "Sorry, we're out of badge clips/holders!" signs at other tables on Saturday. When I sold out of a badge design I hung up a print of it, and the prints sold out. I have a big behind-table pipe and flat rack display to show off my prints and act as an eyecatch to draw in viewers. I never had time to set it up. From the earlier-than-I-thought-it-would-be opening on Friday morning right through until after closing on Sunday, I never had ten solid minutes free to set up the display, because people would not stop throwing money at me. It was insane. At one point a friend and I were reduced to literally just grabbing fists full of cash and hurling it under the table so we could put clips on badges and toss them at people.

I ran out of business cards. Then I ran out of pink misprints of them from when the printer forgot to invite C, Y, and K to the print party. Then I ran out of old business cards that don't have my Tumblr or Gmail address on them. Then I ran out of misprints of those.

I was all worried about only having one original piece to put in the art show and everything else would have to be prints, but it turned out not to matter, because I never would have had time to go sign in and hang anything. It still sucks for this to have been the first A-Kon where I didn't have anything in the art show, but if I was going to pick a year to miss, apparently this was it, because I hear it was sort of abysmal.

Bronies. For me and my type of fanart at least, it was all Bronies. There were thousands of new faces this year, and most of them were in WeLoveFine shirts and were adults (or young adults) with day jobs and money to spend, still in that stage of Being New To Fandom where Everything Is Awesome. Brony Fan Fair ran out of flyers at their Con Alley table halfway through Saturday; I think they might need to revise their attendance estimates.

I forgot to ask Hastur whether or not she had submitted her application for the Nobel Prize yet for developing instant cloning technology, because I swear there were about a hundred AA Volunteers wandering about and offering assistance all weekend.

Also, Mary Cagle recognized me from my Tumblr avatar. O__O asdgghfdjadgfjkl

Man, I hope AnimeFest gets enough pre-reg to nab the Westin as an overflow, because @#$% a bunch of Sheraton. That dump may have a new coat of asbestos-smellin' paint, but it is still the same Cain's Mark it always was. I drove to Carrollton and back every night to keep from having to stay in that hole, and it looks like I made the right choice.

Yume wrote:I asked for a receipt on check-in but the lady said the receipts were given on check-out (which I have) but the manager says that's not proof enough.

NNNNNNNEVER give another person cash money in any kind of transaction other than gifts or buying craft stuff without getting a receipt. If they don't want to provide one, take a photo of them with the money; tell them you are specifically documenting the transaction for criminal investigation purposes in the event they try to swindle you on the deal.

They are suppose to have security video of the counter, but they are saying they "reviewed" the video and said there was no cash. But me, Kiiyame, and my friend were there for a really long time (Like maybe 10-15 min) and spread the money on the counter, counted it, gave it to the staff, they counted it... there is no way to miss this cash.

One word, starts with "BULLS" and ends with "HIT". There is an absolutely and unambiguously zero-point-nothing percent chance that a major hotel franchise in a major American city does not have at least two CCTV cameras covering every terminal/register at the check-in desk, and another three covering the lobby/reception area. No chance. Do not under any circumstances let them get away with this-- you owe it to all of the other people they have undoubtedly screwed over this way. Don't stop with just getting your receipt; contact the Dallas PD and file a criminal complaint so there's a record of them doing this for the next time they try it; contact the site manager and security manager so that they know not only do they have crooks working for them, customers are paying attention to the fact; contact Sheraton corporate customer service so that they're aware of the problem, and make sure they know that you are bombarding every social media outlet in which you participate with the story of how Sheraton Inc itself is screwing over customers this way. Be absolutely certain that Corporate understands that you will be badmouthing Sheraton as a company to anyone who will listen for the rest of your life any time the subject of hostelry comes up. Destroy these @$$#0(%$. They deserve it. Meauho Powers... activate!
Buzzard

Postby Yume » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the votes of confidences and advice everyone ;u; Sorry I hadn't post sooner (been sick and tired), but things were resolved on Monday with little fuss TTuTT

So Monday I went down to Dallas. Dressed serious for business with papers in order, even copies as needed. First person I talked to just happened to be THE hotel manager lol. He was 110% professional and down to earth, completely opposite of the night manager. He listen to everything I said, made no accusations, and seemed as baffled as I had been of the things I was told. He decided since I drove there it should to be taken care of right then and there. So he took us up to accounting, went in and about 10 or more mins later came back with an accountant. They said it was NOT a computer error and I was not the one in the wrong. They gave me a receipt stating they sent the funds back that were wrongly taken and I should see them within in 10 business days. While he didn't say too much, he did say the girl who called wanting to collect more money had given them issue before. Moreover, it sounded like the info I gave them was enough to nail her (as if they couldn't before).

So no corporate needed or police. I actually felt so relieved after talking with the manager, I knew if it wasn't resolved that day it would get resolved. Sometimes you just know when a person is honest and will take care of things. After everything was said and done, the hotel manager even treated me and my mother to a free lunch at the hotel (which was very delicious btw haha).

As far as that night manager, I don't know, but the hotel manager was keenly interested in who he was. I didn't have his name, but the date and time so they'll find out who he was and take care of him :3 I have the hotel managers contact info and he has mine so it's gonna get taken care of ^-^

Point blank, Micheal Burton is a wonderful hotel manager. He said this was his first year for A-Kon but had managed other hotels with anime cons before, he even asked how it went. But seriously, if there's an issue you can go to him about it. Even though A-Kon will no longer be there, A-Fest will right? I was thinking about not staying at the Sheraton for A-fest, but now I'm cool with it ^____^

Buzzard wrote:Repost is a repost!
One word, starts with "BULLS" and ends with "HIT". There is an absolutely and unambiguously zero-point-nothing percent chance that a major hotel franchise in a major American city does not have at least two CCTV cameras covering every terminal/register at the check-in desk, and another three covering the lobby/reception area.

The night manager wasn't claiming there wasn't a video, but that they "reviewed" the video and there was "no cash". Everything that came from his mouth was bogus, so I plan on writing out all the oddities to the hotel manager. Maybe he's just grouchy and didn't want to deal with me, or maybe he has reason to cover :|

Electriksunshine wrote:john yume - you can file a fradulent claim with your bank too. you can show them the receipt and the voicemails and whatnot, and they can yoink those funds right out of the sheraton's hands.

I was going to file a dispute if things weren't resolved on Monday. I did cancel my card on Friday so no more funds would be taken and in case of additional theft.... say if someone stole credit card info. So I should not have anymore problems :)
Yume

Postby Yume » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Buzzard wrote:Repost is a repost!

NNNNNNNEVER give another person cash money in any kind of transaction other than gifts or buying craft stuff without getting a receipt. If they don't want to provide one, take a photo of them with the money; tell them you are specifically documenting the transaction for criminal investigation purposes in the event they try to swindle you on the deal.

LoL that's a pretty good idea. Though I now know I need to ask/demand a receipt as soon as the cash is given. I am still really confused though, was the check-out receipt really not good enough? The hotel Manager seemed to think so.

Oh and if I didn't state this already, normally I NEVER pay in cash for hotel. Not so much because of theft but so my name is on the bill if needed for tax purposes. Unfortunately, due to family crisis that consumed that month (no exaggeration) my family had no money. I had been buying food, gas, etc with my con funds 2 weeks before A-Kon. So by the time A-Kon came around I didn't have enough to cover the entire hotel just my part. It really shouldn't have been an issue, it just unfortunately did.
Yume

Postby Kiriska » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 pm

So glad you got all that sorted. D: D: Sounded like it was a huge pain in the ass, ughhh.
Kiriska

Postby Starrydance » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Im glad you got it worked out smoothly - I was hoping it was just one problem person. Its amazing what people think they can get away with!
Starrydance

PreviousNext

Return to 2012