Otakon 2012

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Otakon 2012

Postby Kiriska » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Who's going? :O

It's halfway through June already, eeshhhhh. This means taking into account shipping and such, I probably have a month to get new stuff done for it. And somehow I think 75% of the new stuff is going to have Loki on it. .____.
Kiriska

Re: Otakon 2012

Postby Zynchilada » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:17 pm

I don't have the funds to do a con outside of Texas yet... but I definitely want to in the next year or so, and I was looking at Otakon or Sakuracon or AnimeNext :3

Speaking of trickster gods, I want to make a Loki staff charm. I've already made a Thor's hammer and since I put "loki" in the keywords in my etsy store that seems to be what most people are searching to get to it :O
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby Kiriska » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Yeah, Otakon's quite the endeavor. The upfront cost of attending is more than twice the amount it took for me to get to A-kon this year, and A-kon is now out-of-state for me. I'm gonna be optimistic about it being worth it though. O:

Your Mjöllnir charm is super cute! Charms look really hard to make though, mannn. What would you do for Loki? A chibi version?
Kiriska

Postby Zynchilada » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Whenever I do go I am not looking forward to transporting my stock via plane... I always worry my charms will get jostled too much driving in the first place D:

Thanks :3 They're actually not so tough, but you have to have a really steady hand for all the weensy details. Oh, and tons of patience. Podcasts and background noise help a LOT, heh.

And, I was thinking of doing his fancy stabby blue-glowy staff from the Avengers first, since I haven't really done humans as charms before. Chibi style would prolly work best in small scale though, I'm thinking of making them something along the lines of this person's human charms, so they would be super cute and also recognizable. :3
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby Kiriska » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:36 am

If you pack the charms in your carry-on and keep them well padded, it shouldn't be so bad, but I guess I don't have much experience in transporting fragile goods either. O:

Loki's sceptre would be cool, but I feel like a long stick would be especially fragile? Might still be fine for a necklace though, since that wouldn't get knocked around as much as a keychain. Those human charms are ADORABLE aaaa.
Kiriska

Postby Zynchilada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah, I guess if I keep them in my carry on it shouldn't be too bad. I don't worry as much when I'm the one taking care of them, heh. I have sooo many ideas for charms though! Currently, I use two 8.5 x 14 x 2 inch organizer boxes with plenty of room in one for necklace stuff as well, but I'm planning on getting a couple more and filling them to the brim. And after toting around a bunch of stuff for A-kon I'm going to try and reduce my display to two or three big boxes instead of four and some tiny ones :P

My plan is to not make it super long (kinda like a chibi-sceptre? a little short and a little fat, haha) and reinforce it by putting wire on the inside, so it should turn out pretty sturdy :3 I'm gonna see if I can't find a shiny, translucent bead to use as the glowy focus-majig, as well.
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby SinisterKitten » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Anthony's being nice and letting me table share with him.
The airfare is what's killing me. :s
We're flying and shipping most of our stuff since my mom can't really afford to take two days off of work to drive.
I dunno,I'm thinking about trying to convince her otherwise. :S
SinisterKitten

Postby SinisterKitten » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:31 am

Does anybody need crash space? I've got room~
SinisterKitten

Postby Kiriska » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Haha, man. I feel like everything that could go wrong with this con has gone wrong at this point and there's still a week to go!

Three people dropped out of our room, putting us down to six, which I realize is already "a lot" for some, but we'd reaaaally like to get three replacement people because the cost of the hotel is a little ridiculous. To make things worse, we apparently booked at the wrong Sheraton? Because apparently there are two within blocks of each other. :| But only one of them is connected to the convention center and that is NOT the one we booked at. HURRAY. sdhajdhasjkdhasjkda yeah if anyone needs a room and doesn't mind crowding in with four Asian girls, a black girl, and a transgirl, hit me up. D;
Kiriska

Postby SinisterKitten » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I feel you Kiriska :<
We're taking on three strangers for the extent of our stay to cut down costs (Paying almost 700 for the hotel because we have to stay Thurs-Tues)
I wish I could help but I don't know anybody else going ; ~ ;
But oh my god the expenses for this are kicking me in the ass. I picked a damn horrible time to get sick and refracture my back.
Woooo. But let's hope it's all worth it and I'll finally get to meet chuu!
SinisterKitten

Postby Kiriska » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Oh, man. I hope your strangers turn out okay! I've never actually roomed with total strangers before, but the idea makes me nervous. x_x And our hotel is almost 900 even though we're only doing Thurs-Sun? I dunno how that happened. D: I'm really aggravated about the not-connected-to-the-BCC thing because that's the only reason I agreed on a hotel at all -- otherwise, I could just crash on a couch 30 minutes out. :\ But I'm not backing out now because I hate it when people do that and obviously we've had enough flakers. Costs are killing me too -- my flight turned out OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive because I waited so long to book. I'm really, really hoping things turn out okay for the amount of cash I've sunk into this ahahaha. ;___; But yeah! Hopefully I'll see you there!
Kiriska

Postby SinisterKitten » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Welp we just found out the person we booked with at Bestwestern booked us for 1 King instead of 2 Queens,so sadly I have to tell the people they can't stay with us,and we have to front all of the hotel costs now x.x
With this and the flight,gah.
Kiriska I say we just carpool next year because flying is insane ; ~ ;
Also where's your table?

And to top it all off,I only got me registered Saturday,I just got back from dealing with a family emergency that started in the middle of me trying to figure out their damn registration system. I've emailed them and explained that my mother really physically CANNOT wait outside,in line for hours to register on site. Ugh I'm just so freaking stressed out right now .x-x
SinisterKitten

Postby Kiriska » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Was nice finally meeting you at Otakon, Sinister! Getting to see and hang out a bit with folks I haven't seen a while was definitely the best part of the con though. The business side of things left a lot to be desired, imo.

I had two sales goals for Otakon and missed both of them. Gross profit was only slightly better than A-kon, which hurt a lot because costs were just about double A-kon (not including food and supplies). Friday and Sunday were both depressingly slow, and the % commissions was the lowest I've had in a long time. Net profit was less than A-kon both this year and last, and San Japan last year. Just disappointed with the numbers all around. Also irritated with lack of staff presence and enforcement of rules. As with other cons (AWA) that have added percentage fanart restrictions, Otakon failed to actually enforce this evenly amongst artists, which undoubtedly hurt those that tried to follow them. :\

Long report/ranting later, I guess. Really kind of just want to forget about the whole venture though. ;\
Kiriska

Postby SinisterKitten » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm

It was lovely meeting you as well! ;3;
I'm sorry you didn't meet the goal you wanted. I didn't exactly either,but I think my profit could have been higher had I 1) Booked everything earlier,2)Brought more stuff,3) Could take on the spot customs like I usually do.
But I'll definitely be back next year,I had alot of fun and meet alot of great new people.

I also propose all of us Texas artists stay together next year! I think we're going to book at the Hilton as early as possible so that we can just use the Skywalk,the rental car was ridiculously expensive.
We also found out that we stayed in THE roughest part of Baltimore. ; ~ ;
SinisterKitten

Postby Yume » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Some of you probably already watch Zimmay and Finni on DA or have heard of something about this on Tumblr, but I'm passing along their Journal concerning a major issue with AA Otakon staff:

http://finni.deviantart.com/journal/Ota ... 1#comments

Since quite a few Texas artists go to Otakon, I think you guys should be aware (moreover, pass the information along to others).
Yume

Next

Return to 2012