Animefest 2012

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: Animefest 2012

Postby Hastur » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm also very much behind on my reports. Oi! Too much to do and not enough time to do it in. Sorry
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. - Blaise Pascal
Hastur

Postby tachiik » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 pm

OK finally changed my password now i can post my belated post.

had a BLAST at a fest. FINALLY this felt like the a fest that i used to go to. for a while it seemed really lonely and not that many people when it was at the other hotel but then again it probably had to do with the layout of the convention floor and that i'm in a bat cave like area. I was downstairs next to ladre and alice and silver no miko. White oblivion was also pretty close.

I got there on friday at around 2 and everything was pretty darn quiet. but then it was expected. I got a CRAP TON of stuff into the art auction. Wandered in on saturday and things didn't pick up til after noon. THings were at a good pace and everyone seem to be having a good time. The location i was at was awsome because I am the only one behind the table usually I had helpers at the table that were awsome awsome because they were so close to me. went to the art auction and had to leave at 1 cause i was getting sooooo sleepy. I wish that they dont go slow and have to walk around the piece of art. I liked it before when they just showed the piece in the front and if anyone wanted to look at it they would take the piece to them. However i was told that after i left each time my piece came up people in the room squeeed for me ^_^ i felt loved.

I sold all my pieces at the auction!!!! YIPPE!!! this was the most successful one ever! and pinkie pie....my pinkie pie....wow she beat out a lot of my other larger pieces. thank you to who ever bought her! Everyone i talked to seem to have done really well for the wekeend. I was afraid about the new setup but turned out fine. although i did think it was weird how the convention tables were mixed in with the artists.

OH FOOD TRUCKS!!!! SO MAGICAL!!!!! the korean tacos one is AWSOME!!!!! crazy fish....um...yea sushi out of a truck....you're just asking for trouble and some people got sick off of them.

RUMOURS: soo i heard that another convention that was sharing the sheraton was a football team and they beat up a kid? anyone? anyone?

if there is something else magical i forgot i'll update this entry i guess.
I know this is a pretty lazy review but meh it's my last one in the year bwhahahah.
tachiik

Postby KrisCynical » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 am

I didn't hear anything about anyone getting beaten up, but it wasn't a football team and it wasn't a convention. The "Cowboys Classic" was that weekend at Cowboys Stadium between Alabama and Michigan, so a lot of people who had flown down here to ATTEND the game were staying at the Sheraton.

The other main thing that was there that weekend was a wedding. I had heard about some snobbery going on from the wedding guests, but neither of us encountered anything of the sort. From what my mom experienced on food runs, the groomsmen -- decked out in tuxedos -- were having a lot of fun with a video camera commentating on and interviewing the cosplayers as they passed by. "And next up... oooh, we have BATMAN AND BATGIRL!! So how has your day been so far?!" etc, etc. When my mom and I and a couple cosplayers were on the elevator to go back up to our room the night of the wedding it stopped on the second floor and an older couple came in who had obviously been at the wedding because he was in a tux and she was in an evening gown. My mom had said "I can tell you're not with the anime convention." which they laughed at and the husband said "No, but all of you look like you're having more fun than us!" and then he said to the cosplayers "I would rather be dressed like that than like this! It's probably a lot more comfortable!" They were more entertained by all the AFest people than anything and thought it looked like a lot of fun. Everyone we encountered was the same... really friendly and thought the con-goers were very entertaining to see.

If any of what the groomsmen shot is used, that is going to be one hell of an awesome wedding video.
Kristin's Studio
deviantART

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
--Robert Hughes
KrisCynical

Postby Yume » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 pm

According to the signs I read on the way to the North Tower it was a family reunion going on. I did see people from that group but they didn't trouble me or anyone else. I dunno about any rumors, but those sports guys were drunk for sure >_<;;

2 of the 4 North tower Elevators were broken at the end of day (Fri/Saturday I think it was) so everyone was really bent out of shape. I waited FOREVER for an elevator empty enough for me and my art. After getting on, the next floor a bunch of jersey wearing guys pushed their way into the elevator and (repeatedly) sat on my prints only to get off because the door wouldn't close. It happened again 1 floor up (@A@);; and on the other floors I got some really ugly comments/cursing because my cart (Never had that happen before). While waiting for my floor, which the elevator was stopping on EVERY floor, one of the jersey guys kept asking me questions and kept asking if he could have my sister's mask and I repeatedly told him "no." eventually he asked if he could "have my sister" *rolls eyes* =.=

Thankfully they didn't break, crush, or take anything but they were pretty annoying and disrespectful. And heck even for me it's kinda intimidating to be in an elevator with a bunch of drunk sports guys after a long day (@_@);;

I kinda hope we don't share a hotel with those guys again, and moreover, I hope the Sheraton would be more of top of the elevator issues. By the end of the con only 1 North tower elevator was working. We were really late getting down and checking out because of it X_x
Yume

Postby KrisCynical » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:07 am

Ah yes, there was a family runion there, too. I had forgotten about that. So yeah, there were FOUR things going on that weekend.

Man, that sucks that you had such a bad time with the elevators and the other guests! I must have used the elevators at good times of day because I never had a problem with them at all, crowds or functionality, and I was staying in the north tower. My elevator bank was the one for the lower floors, though... were you in the other bank?
Kristin's Studio
deviantART

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
--Robert Hughes
KrisCynical

Postby Electriksunshine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I talked so much crap to those football guys, it's not even funny. I know a tiny bit about sports from my job, and so all I did was give the michigan guys crap about losing (cause they really, really sucked it up), and the alabama guys crap about marrying their sisters. They're just bullies, that's all. as soon as you stand up to them, they'll back down.

other than that - drank too much, sold off the rest of my inventory (thank the lord) and goofed off considerably. It was a good con. :)
Electriksunshine

Postby Buzzard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm

I will cheerfully volunteer my services if anyone ever wants any of those jerkasses mangled off the record. I have no patience for their kind.

Sales-wise, A-Fest sucked real bad this year. All of the badge artists got stuck on The Island Of The Dead over by the bathrooms (where A-Kon has its Ops/Phoenix Sales table because it's so low traffic), and Carapace and I were at literally the two worst tables in the entire Bazaar. I made about as much money the next Saturday at Brony Fan Fair as I did at all four days of A-Fest. -_-; I understand that Julie mostly had her hands tied in regards to layout-- surprise, surprise, an artist alley is a ginger stepchild-- but if they keep this year's BB layout next year and I get stuck at that spot again, I'm probably not even going to bother. It was extra special aggravating because some scrub called "pikman" or somesuch had a table on the other side of the island-- where there was actual traffic-- and the #%&$* never bothered to show up. Brandon McKinney was next to me, and he was livid about it; he actually counted, and that guy was at his table a grand total of five hours over the entire con. Unless there was some kind of dire emergency going on there, he seriously needs to not be allowed back.

I didn't go to the art auction-- except for one piece, everything I sold went for Quick Sale, so that was nice-- but from my Regular Patrons Of The Arts friends I hear that it was slow like glaciers. We desperately need JM Tatum back as an auctioneer; that guy tears it up and gets bids higher than kites.

Awful as sales were, it was still a lot of fun, because everyone who did stop by was having a great time and they were fun to talk to. Holy goats there were some awesome cosplayers! Every year the quality of cosplay just keeps going up. It was hilarious that there were about a dozen people cosplaying different versions of Spike from MLP, and apparently none of them had seen any of the others.

Had about a dozen people want to buy the MLP bedsheets I was using for tablecloth and display cover. If the local Targets had any on the shleves before, they probably didn't by the end of the weekend.

The new giganto-badges were a surprise. I woulda made my badge art at higher resolutions if I'd known they were going to be printed at nearly actual size! The teeny schedules you could fold up and put in the badge holder were a neat touch.

The Cain's Mark Hotel sucked a lot less than I remember, although the 45 minute wait for check-in at 4:30 on Friday made me reconsider that opinion. The $7 a day self-park was great, though.
Buzzard

Postby Yume » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

KrisCynical wrote:Ah yes, there was a family runion there, too. I had forgotten about that. So yeah, there were FOUR things going on that weekend.

Man, that sucks that you had such a bad time with the elevators and the other guests! I must have used the elevators at good times of day because I never had a problem with them at all, crowds or functionality, and I was staying in the north tower. My elevator bank was the one for the lower floors, though... were you in the other bank?

Too many events going on then. I think the hotel overbooked thinking Afest as small @_@

Ah yeah, I was on the 23rd floor (I think elevator 5).

Electriksunshine wrote:They're just bullies, that's all. as soon as you stand up to them, they'll back down.

Buzzard wrote:I will cheerfully volunteer my services if anyone ever wants any of those jerkasses mangled off the record. I have no patience for their kind.

Hehe thanks ^_^ <3 They weren't bullying me or anyone that I saw (it was the people wanting to get on AFTER the sports guys who were cussing out my cart for existing eue;; ) the jersey guys were just annoying and thoughtless sitting on my stuff and I wasn't sure what they would do ^_^;;
Yume

Postby Yume » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I just finish writing a report. When I selected preview it said I needed to log in again and then ate my post. Tried to go forward/back. Nothing.

OTL I give up....

REPORT: AFEST WAS GREAT. MUCH LOVE. THE END.

Except for poor AA layout that which made gave some spots SO little traffic, it was like being in another con. Upstairs, right next to the autographs tables. Worst place in the whole alley, and one of my friends had that spot :/
Yume

Postby Buzzard » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am

Before you try to post a long editorial, always Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C to put it on the clipboard in case the forum tries to eat it; that way if the architecture temporarily collapses, you can just open a word processor (or some other forum) and Ctrl+V it back to life.

...Learned that $#!@$ the hard way.
Buzzard

Postby Yume » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Buzzard wrote:Before you try to post a long editorial, always Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C to put it on the clipboard in case the forum tries to eat it; that way if the architecture temporarily collapses, you can just open a word processor (or some other forum) and Ctrl+V it back to life.

...Learned that $#!@$ the hard way.

Oh believe me, I already know this and normally I do. I just wasn't expecting an issue with only a "preview" and I've gotten use to forums not kicking me out too :/
Yume

Postby Spizzy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:33 pm

that's weird--I didn't know that our forum would log you out after a certain amount of time. I hate forums that do that @_@ I'll look into seeing if that BS can be disabled.

edit: I could find no such option. Don't stay stationary too long, or make it so that you log in automatically
Spizzy

Previous

Return to 2012