17%
Combination
17%
Other
7%

Total votes : 60

Re: Thoughts on "Next Year" Signups.

Postby Starrydance » Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am

Just tossing this out there, if there was a row that was auction, high prices to guarentee a spot?

It wouldnt be the front.

Edit:

No medium, no style, no original, no fan art is magically better than the other.

End of story.

For almost all things, people purchase art because it speaks to them. Be it a known character or fandom, or HEY I LIKE UNICORNS.

Guess what, Unicorns are basically fan art.
Starrydance

Postby Spizzy » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm just gonna say, $500 dollars is freaking ridiculous for any table at an anime convention. I think it would be hard for even a pro artists to justify that sort of cost with an original only limit especially, considering the sort of market an anime con panders to (generally, kids in high school who want everything to be a dollar and want their OCs or their favorite characters). I'm not sure how being professional somehow guarantees more money will be earned (or that you make more money than a non-pro artist and can afford it) to justify that sort of price tag. There's no reason why someone should pay more for a table and have less right to sell stuff than the cheaper tables, anyway. If it happened, that's out of the question.

You guys can feel free to discuss things and not agree with each other, but this pot must stay at a simmer. I haven't had to moderate posts for content in two+ years for this forum and I've had to do it three times the past week and a half @_@
Spizzy

Postby Kiriska » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 pm

I wanted to avoid jumping into another heated discussion, because I frankly don't have the energy for it right now, I think there are a lot of misconceptions about Blix-it/lilindar's "pro row" advocacy, which is based primarily on its success at Sakura-Con (where it's termed "small press") and Anime Boston. I'll mostly talk about Sakura-Con since I've never been to Anime Boston, and here is the page with Sakura-Con's info, but basically:

$350 gets you a 10'x10' booth with two badges in Small Press, compared to $100 for a 8'x2' table and one badge in Artist Alley. Small Press is juried VS Artist Alley's FCFS, but while "fanart cannot be the focus," neither is it barred. Mostly relatively well-known webcomics (Minor Acts of Heroism, Teahouse, Modest Medusa) and illustrators end up in Small Press and take full advantage of the bigger space for bigger displays, etc. Notably, DoujinPress was in Small Press this year, and obviously they sell fanart; one of the illustrators also had a massive selection of Ghibli and Doctor Who-related prints. The location isn't really better. It's in the same space as Artist Alley and Dealer's Room, but you get more space. It a comfortable middle area between AA and DR, as Small Press still can't sell manufactured goods.

So the benefits really just come down to:
- Jury process to replace FCFS stress
- Bigger space

Since there's some concern about fanart, if A-kon adopts the idea, I'd just suggest that there be no judgment on fanart in the jury process and stick with the two benefits above for the higher price. I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that a higher cost can/should buy a better location (endcaps are traditionally higher priced for DR, so why not?), but space/hotel/layout will probably dictate that a lot more than anything else. In Sakura-Con's case, since everything is in the same room anyway, there's really no location benefit to Small Press.

Other than that, I'm generally in favor of the idea of small press/pro row even though it isn't really something I would personally seek to participate in. A lot of artists could benefit from the additional space, and while FCFS is by far the preferred method by this topic's poll, I know of plenty who'd favor the jury process far more -- and hey, AA staff could even get paid for it with the higher cost for small press/pro row. And the pool would be smallish anyway because of that higher cost. iirc, Sakura-Con only had 16 Small Press spaces VS 100 AA spots; it couldn't hurt for A-kon to test the waters with 2-4 Small Press spots one year, space allowing?

/shrug
Kiriska

Postby Ladre » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

KrisCynical wrote:
That is switching out "typing" with "wallet size", which I have an ENORMOUS issue with.

YES! I know typing isn't the best system either but I think "wallet size" is much worse >:I
Ladre

Postby Kiriska » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Ladre wrote:
KrisCynical wrote:
That is switching out "typing" with "wallet size", which I have an ENORMOUS issue with.

YES! I know typing isn't the best system either but I think "wallet size" is much worse >:I

I...don't really see the issue? Isn't this how the world works? Pay more, get more? Those that can afford to pay more will get more? (Isn't that basically what the Dealer's Room is...?) The proposition for small press/pro row isn't to replace Artist Alley; it's being suggested in addition to it?
Kiriska

Postby Spizzy » Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Kiriska wrote:I wanted to avoid jumping into another heated discussion, because I frankly don't have the energy for it right now,

This is how I'm feeling at this point as well. Disagreements and all this thread hadn't gotten too crazy but I am at the point that if there cannot be polite disagreement, there isn't going to be any discussion. That said, we're not going to get into the wallet discussion AT ALL. We've had this discussion on the old forum a few times and it's not pretty. I was going to let this thread continue but now that we've already reached LET THEM EAT CAKE, it's locked. I personally cannot keep losing sleep over these non-issues that don't even exist at the con and making sure people are playing nicely about it. I'll reopen the thread after the con when it's reasonable to actually have next year discussions. Please everyone, focus your efforts to your art for the time being, the year is negative enough, we're getting up in each other's grills for having opinions, basically, I don't want to keep it going all the way to the con.
Spizzy

Previous

Return to 2013