A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby meauho » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 am

Aisha wrote:
Spizzy wrote:
Aisha wrote:
meauho wrote:
Aisha wrote:My other issue: why does A-Kon still allow the Contact Lens dealer to come back and sell? (Joshua, you already know my beef with this.)

It is illegal in the state of Texas to
1. sell contact lenses without a state permit
2. sell at temporary venues
So, ignoring the Federal laws they are breaking, they still shouldn't be allowed. That having been said; I've basically been told to shut up because they don't care - if some attendee goes blind, that's the attendee's fault for trusting a convention dealer or that A-Kon would have policies in place that would require vendors to follow the law (especially when they gain liability for the actions of the vendor). At this point, your only recourse is to report it to state regulators and let them do a raid on the convention.

Then it seems I will have to be the one to make a big deal about it. I didn't realize they were there till Saturday evening, so I was unable to contact the local FTC office. I was highly tempted to go to the hotel manager, and I will do that next year. I know A-Kon staff is fully aware this dealer is doing things illegally, and I'm pissed they continue to ignore it. Next year I will pull out all the stops and contact the local FTC, the hotel manager, and possibly local news. I'm also going to talk with my business law teacher and see what he says about A-Kon's position.

This is basically the equivalent of allowing some random dealer to sell prescription drugs without requiring a prescription or even a license to sell.


While you're at it, can you report A-kon having unpaid volunteers in a for-profit business? Because apparently that's illegal too (I'm curious to look into it for confirmation but don't think it's worth pursuing, either), and we know that some people DO get paid for their time (and a badge doesn't count). And it certainly doesn't include us. Apparently we should all have been getting paid for this the past six years since the AA is kind of a large part of attractions for A-kon (even if it's the red-headed stepchild on priorities list). It would certainly make any of us more willing to put the effort into it! I'm ready to throw in the towel though. Maybe I'll feel better about the whole thing later but I think I'm pretty decided to not give my time anymore. I'd rather just attend, but even then, DAT REG LIINE NN-MM. *dramatic exit*

I'll take a look into it and ask my business law teacher. He has all the legal knowledge.


Spizzy: You're forgetting about interns - of which Disney has THOUSANDS who work unpaid for them every year.
It all depends on the legal phrasing - and that can be entirely internal.
meauho
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby tachiik » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 am

Starrydance wrote:Hastur has a fun idea for naming the islands next year, we hope to have them better labelled, etc as well.

Although Id of course prefer mythical creatures.

Of course theyd all be variants of unicorns...

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding <3

If I had any idea my map was going to go into the app, I would have made it um, more legible. Its just generally printed and used as a pointer reference.



HAHAHHAAH there was robot chicken episode where they had the apocolypse pony.!!!! can we be war pony! or death pony?
User avatar
tachiik
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby tsarren » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Alicechan wrote: I just wished the dealers room opened on the south side of the wall because that would have made traffic extra sweet~~~


This is what I was talking about. If people have to go through the AA in order to get to and exit the DR, I'm not sure it would matter if the reg line stayed with us or not, based on upstairs experience in prior years.

Alicechan wrote:I also noticed this year that there wasn't really a set fandom people were looking for. (For example, Kingdom Hearts was all the rage a long while back, along with bleach, naruto, etc.) People were buying random things and stuff that hadn't sold in a long while was finally leaving my table! (took it long enough!)


I also had a couple items move that I'd had out for years.

Silvernomiko wrote:To make it easier for next year, maybe instead of letters they can be mythical creatures. I mean, it'd be easier to remember so and so was at the Narwhal island instead of remembering Island D or E, hahaha.


Dude, every time you imply that a narwhal is a mythical creature, somewhere a real narwhal dies!

Image
tsarren
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 am

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Buzzard » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I am still doin' the Hand Over Fist Dance; holy crabsack I made big dollars. Sold out of about twenty different things. I'll be payin' cash for everything for the next month or more!

I also had the highly weird condition of people paying with ATM $twenties all day Sunday; usually they're down to small bills by then. Apparently the fffking ATMs had a $5 fee? The Anatole is a terrible con venue to begin with, but that is just plain scumbaggery. Screw those jerks, I'm badmouthing them to hell and gone from now on.

Props to whatever-they're-calling-Security-these-days; I didn't know where the load-in for the AA was, so I approached it in my usual way, by finding an open door and walking right in like I owned the place. I was immediately challenged by a ("Kon Patrol", maybe?) volunteer and asked to show a badge; he pointed me right to where I needed to go for the AA and didn't let me any further into what I assume was the Dealers' Room. Good work.

Whoever came up with the idea of making "pull up all the tape from the floor" into a get-a-free-badge-for-next-year game is a ruddy genius, and probably doesn't deserve all the extra unpaid work they would be sure to get from a promotion.

Whoever's idea it was to have %&#@ing rave music blasted at earhole-violating volume from next to the Regdesk all weekend should be summarily fired out of a cannon into the sun. I'm glad my migraine-and-seizures-fun-time wife didn't come with me this year, because I would almost certainly have gotten myself banned over it. That was an absolute dick move, and completely unacceptable.

I vote to keep the hell outta the Regdesk being at the back of the AA room, that was awesome for sales. Maybe less so for folks on the other side of the room, but it worked great for me.

Very glad I was right behind Alain Viesca, because his entire foofin' back display woulda fallen over onto the heads of whoever was otherwise; he had let a photographer friend borrow it the week before, and several set screws were missing, so the base of the vertical poles wasn't actually attached to the tripod bases. I saw it starting to fail and reflex-grabbed it, and had both Gorilla Glue duct tape and metal bars at hand to effect an ad hoc brace. Disaster: Averted.

Those were six foot tables like I'm six foot tall. I measured mine at 5' 9"; that's important, because my front-table display setup is right about six feet, and with tables on either side of me I couldn't really move anything around.

Kiriska wrote:- Cold room is way better than a hot room.

YES, THIS. It is infinitely easier to cope with a cold room than a hot room, especially when the power outlets that were supposed to be free evidently cost more than a small family sedan.

- However, Art Show setup hours have GOT to start accommodating the fact that some artists hanging in the AS are also in the AA.

I didn't bother trying to finish anything for the Art Show this year, and I'm glad I didn't; some of my patron/friends who haunt con art shows said it was just sad this year, full of prints and stuck down the end of a barely-traveled hallway; apparently the jackholes in charge of the Rooster Teeth room actually blocked all access to the Art Show for several hours, which is the sort of thing that needs to get staffers bloody well removed.

- Why was that entire first island basically empty? And half the second island? AA was way underbooked. And probably waitlisters that could have moved in to fill that space couldn't because they probably weren't notified more than a few days ahead of the show.

I'm pretty sure I would have said and done some highly inappropriate and imminently bannable things if I had been waitlist-denied and found out that there was a block of empty tables right up front all weekend; I glared black hate at the invisible specters of whatever scum didn't show up for those tables every time I walked past them. I could see that they were largely Guest tables, but those comps have got to be put somewhere else next year; it makes the entire AA look like a halfass operation to have empty tables right up front as potential customers are walking in. They should at least have some blasted signs to say "Fancy Guest McGuesterson will be back at his/her table soon!" so everyone knows they're not just abandoned.

The artist/s who never showed up to claim the table across from me (right next to the cosplay/clothing seller with the superhero logo shirts, ahem ahem) can report to the cannon.

There could probably also be actual procedures for on-site, walk-in AA table claiming posted somewhere because I don't think that info is actually available?

THIS THING HERE. I can't afford to drive to Dallas on a hope, but I'm sure there were locals and artists already attending anyway who would have liked a shot at those tables.

- Why was the wifi in the room restricted to staffers? ._.

{string of expletives deleted}
I made all of one credit card sale all weekend, because that was the only guy who could set his smart phone up as a mobile hot spot long enough for me to connect to Square. Anatole sucks transformable hovertank exhaust if that's how they treat a friggin' convention with tens of thousands of attendees, what a lousy venue. The stinkin' Cain's Mark had hotel wifi, for cryin' out loud, and they also had complimentary roaches in half the rooms.

Starrydance wrote:
Silvernomiko wrote:Okay, so did you say you were at PURPLE unicorn? Or Seafoam Green Unicorn?
No, no, I said I was at Sky Blue Pegasus Unicorn. Duh.
XD


Kirin, Unicorn, Pegasus, Nightmare, Kelpie... um... Unipeg, Brony?
Teeheeee!

I'm pretty sure I got stuck at Falchan Island at AnimeFest last year. ~_~

Can I make all the guests sit at Brony Island?

Heyheyhey, don't harsh on the bronies, gurrlfren'-- they payin' all my bills for the next month.
Buzzard
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 am

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Starrydance » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Im not bashing Bronies, you know Im one <3

But you know most people who dont would just see the name and go WHAT! Its a laugh on BOTH Ends of the pony that way.

Few things because Im too lazy to quote:

1) There will be Guests are AFK signs for next year.

2) Theres no offical procedure for on site sign ups. Just you know, show up. Say youre here for a table. Thats the procedure. Always been that way.

3) Tape - game. I concur, utter brilliance. We were VASTLY amused.

And another thing with the guests:

It didnt used to matter because they HAD Their own row - at the back of the Alley - to force people to go through it. And Allow for their own lines. Thats not true this year, and it wasnt something the AA was really given much a of choice in.

My preference would be they have their own single row again, but Im not sure it can fit in that room if Reg AND the events corral stays.

Which kind of blows, but we'll figure out a way.
User avatar
Starrydance
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: McKinney Texas

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby meauho » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Buzzard wrote:Whoever came up with the idea of making "pull up all the tape from the floor" into a get-a-free-badge-for-next-year game is a ruddy genius, and probably doesn't deserve all the extra unpaid work they would be sure to get from a promotion.


Registration has been doing it for years.
Last year (when I thought I was going to be at the con) I said I wasn't going to pull up any tape this year and neither were my volunteers unless the volunteers were offered the same deal because giving some random attendee a free badge just for pulling up tape was a great way to shit on the volunteers who work their asses off all weekend, and then are expected to pull up 2x as much tape as the reg section had.


"Official Procedure" for unclaimed tables: We had one - 5 or 6 years ago. People who signed up for it never showed up at the con, and we spent entire days going through the wait list. This is why it was changed to "you must sign up at the table".
meauho
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby jensequitur » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

We should name the islands after movie trivia... The Island of Misfit Toys... Skull Island...
User avatar
jensequitur
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Starrydance » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm

jensequitur wrote:We should name the islands after movie trivia... The Island of Misfit Toys... Skull Island...


Well it should be Anime, or something, I guess. But not breaking copyrights or anything. Or something.

Movies are fun but it IS an Anime con, or so Ive been told!
User avatar
Starrydance
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: McKinney Texas

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Foolish Mortal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Starrydance wrote:
jensequitur wrote:We should name the islands after movie trivia... The Island of Misfit Toys... Skull Island...


Well it should be Anime, or something, I guess. But not breaking copyrights or anything. Or something.

Movies are fun but it IS an Anime con, or so Ive been told!


Awwwwww but I wanna be posted on Skull Island.

I didn't bother trying to finish anything for the Art Show this year, and I'm glad I didn't; some of my patron/friends who haunt con art shows said it was just sad this year, full of prints and stuck down the end of a barely-traveled hallway; apparently the jackholes in charge of the Rooster Teeth room actually blocked all access to the Art Show for several hours, which is the sort of thing that needs to get staffers bloody well removed.


Yea - I'm going to be frank and say A-Kon Art Show isn't one I bother with. Even at the old hotel it was shoved off in no where corner and had nothing really in it and no real traffic. Hell I've seen smaller cons with more happening Art Shows. I'd love for A-Kon to fix this problem but it doesn't seem to be high on their priority list.
User avatar
Foolish Mortal
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Spizzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Starrydance wrote:And silly you had a Staff badge waiting for you upstairs, I told you that =p



if you did I certainly didn't hear you; I was told I wouldn't have one at the con.

also Meauho, I'm fully aware of interns, I'm not forgetting things, alright. It was another thing on the 'word it very carefully' lists that I found. I'm not sure how a-kon being an event is different from a business though, since it's run by a business. But like I said, I don't want to see anything come of it because it would be kind of pointless and counter-productive. I'm just not going to volunteer if it bothers me that much, which is what I'm doing so, there we go, my troubles are resolved XD

@ buzzard

yea, that empty table bugged me IMMENSELY. I just kept looking over hoping someone would show up, I want to say someone did use it for all of two hours on friday night, but I don't really remember. I hope there was a reason for it (although after awhile I think we didn't have anymore people onsite waiting around for tables to open up). I took down their name for sure.

@silvernomiko

The more other cons I go to the more it seems A-kon is really living in the past..and seriously, can they please get some better badge art for the love of cake. They had plenty of art given to them from another artist in the alley and NONE of it was used on anything. They were pretty miffed about it, and then we still had this awful badge art. Why do they still use this guy for their art, IT HAS NEVER IMPROVED.


also yes, please name the islands silly things. They could get the little stand up sign holders with the name and a cute picture on both ends of the islands (provided you know, the huge reg line isn't doing that nonsense again next year.). But I'm sure it'd get knocked over and played around with incessantly.
User avatar
Spizzy
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby X-Chan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Am I the only one who prefers letter named islands? After remembering that it went in chronological order starting from A at the entrance of the room, it was easy to know which island was which. With different names, I'll never remember if narwhal island is before or after unicorn island etc and would have to look at the map every time.
X-Chan
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: BC, Canada

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby jensequitur » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm

X-Chan, you have a good point. Although I would love to be on Skull Island, it would be difficult to find it. It was difficult enough to find Island E every time.
User avatar
jensequitur
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Starrydance » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm

jensequitur wrote:X-Chan, you have a good point. Although I would love to be on Skull Island, it would be difficult to find it. It was difficult enough to find Island E every time.


Once again, Hastur is before you on this one.

They wont likely be creatures, they will still BE A, B, C, D, E, F, G....

They'll just be creative ways to say/see it.
User avatar
Starrydance
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: McKinney Texas

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Foolish Mortal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Spizzy wrote:@silvernomiko

The more other cons I go to the more it seems A-kon is really living in the past..and seriously, can they please get some better badge art for the love of cake. They had plenty of art given to them from another artist in the alley and NONE of it was used on anything. They were pretty miffed about it, and then we still had this awful badge art. Why do they still use this guy for their art, IT HAS NEVER IMPROVED.

Did the con ask this other artist to provide art and then not use it?

See...I always assumed we kept using the same badge artist every year due to like - he's friends with people who run things? Or no one had the heart to tell him to stop? Or something like that. Politics.

But yea - I find the art's non improvement or evolution over the years baffling. Artists are supposed to change and learn and evolve over time, especially YEARS. But like I said - I always chalked it up to politics. Though I'd LOVE for different art to show up.

X-Chan wrote:Am I the only one who prefers letter named islands? After remembering that it went in chronological order starting from A at the entrance of the room, it was easy to know which island was which. With different names, I'll never remember if narwhal island is before or after unicorn island etc and would have to look at the map every time.

Can we name them alphabetically silly things?
User avatar
Foolish Mortal
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Alicechan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

X-Chan wrote:Am I the only one who prefers letter named islands? After remembering that it went in chronological order starting from A at the entrance of the room, it was easy to know which island was which. With different names, I'll never remember if narwhal island is before or after unicorn island etc and would have to look at the map every time.

I was thinking this too. People were constantly asking what island I was in, which way island blah was, what order the islands went in, etc. It would have been really difficult to answer if they weren't alphabetized. ^^;
User avatar
Alicechan
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to 2013

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron