A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: A-Kon; the Aftermath. Feedback and more

Postby Zynchilada » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Alicechan wrote:
X-Chan wrote:Am I the only one who prefers letter named islands? After remembering that it went in chronological order starting from A at the entrance of the room, it was easy to know which island was which. With different names, I'll never remember if narwhal island is before or after unicorn island etc and would have to look at the map every time.

I was thinking this too. People were constantly asking what island I was in, which way island blah was, what order the islands went in, etc. It would have been really difficult to answer if they weren't alphabetized. ^^;

Well, simple compromise then: Make them alphabetized names/nouns :3 As well as having big signs with pretty pictures. If we're sticking with mythical creatures, for example, it could go: Alicorn, Basilisk, Chimera, Dragon, Elf, Fairy, Golem, etc. Could probably do it with Japanese creatures, instead, to fit the con :0
Etsy store
Zynchilada

Postby Starrydance » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Im hoping they are silly, I'll tell Hastur everyone likes the mythical creatures. <3

They will still be Alphabatized, even if we skip a letter, they wont be all Unicorn, ManbearPig, Elf, Kitsune, Other_Unicorn or anything

And yes the badge artist (as far as Im aware) is a friend of Meris and Meri likes the badge art and its a tradition.

So that be that.
Starrydance

Postby Aisha » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 am

Starrydance wrote:Im hoping they are silly, I'll tell Hastur everyone likes the mythical creatures. <3

They will still be Alphabatized, even if we skip a letter, they wont be all Unicorn, ManbearPig, Elf, Kitsune, Other_Unicorn or anything

And yes the badge artist (as far as Im aware) is a friend of Meris and Meri likes the badge art and its a tradition.

So that be that.

The heck is a ManbearPig?
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby ShinobiOnToast » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:39 am

I don't know, but it's probably related to the bearodactyl.
ShinobiOnToast

Postby meauho » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 am

Aisha wrote:
Starrydance wrote:Im hoping they are silly, I'll tell Hastur everyone likes the mythical creatures. <3

So that be that.

The heck is a ManbearPig?

South Park reference
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... earPig.JPG
meauho

Postby X-Chan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 am

Zynchilada wrote:
Alicechan wrote:
X-Chan wrote:Am I the only one who prefers letter named islands? After remembering that it went in chronological order starting from A at the entrance of the room, it was easy to know which island was which. With different names, I'll never remember if narwhal island is before or after unicorn island etc and would have to look at the map every time.

I was thinking this too. People were constantly asking what island I was in, which way island blah was, what order the islands went in, etc. It would have been really difficult to answer if they weren't alphabetized. ^^;

Well, simple compromise then: Make them alphabetized names/nouns :3 As well as having big signs with pretty pictures. If we're sticking with mythical creatures, for example, it could go: Alicorn, Basilisk, Chimera, Dragon, Elf, Fairy, Golem, etc. Could probably do it with Japanese creatures, instead, to fit the con :0

that would work for me. :)
X-Chan

Postby Hastur » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Oy. My brain is made of pudding.

Wanted to throw these things into the mix:

- New Hotel - new Issues: We all knew it was going to happen. I'll actually be collecting stuff from this thread, so if you have something to say, lay on. However it will also be edited for general readability and language *cough* Buzzard *cough* - even if I find the language to be entertaining as hell.

- Islands - I was thinking of naming them like stuff from most Asian Fantasies. You know, like:

- Astral Lotus in the Shining of the Spirit
- Blushing Dragon in the Heart of the Rose
- Celestial Emperor Holds Tiny Kitten
- Devouring Serpent Eats Star-lit Tail
- Echoes of the Ancestors Sing Heavenly Praise
- Fox and Raven Throw Dice for the Sea
- Grandfather Feigns Ignorance of Essence of Katana

And, to help everyone better know what time it was, we could have a small troupe run through, with a gong, once on the hour, every hour, announcing the hour.

"It is Rooster's Hour
Wind breathes as Sun dances wild
My hat is on fire"

(I will give one hundred extra cool points to the first one to figure out what I am referencing).

- Times - Yeah, right? You know? It was my understanding that the times that were announced were the actual times when doors would close and the artists would have a chance to .... I don't know... go eat or something? After a 14 hour day, I left each time. My helpers, however, kept on (and I have no idea how) and that's when I found that the times were ... stretchy. I will see if something can be done.

- Reg Lines - This might be the number one thing that I heard about, and the con is already figuring out ways to fix it. Don't get me started about stuff like number of registers and stuff, because that will not help. There is, however, a plethora of people who love to solve problems working on that precise problem. We all want the lines to move faster - and still pass the AA as they do so.

- Cold - I maintain that I would rather freeze than deal with con-funk. However, when even I need to put on a sweater, it is bloody cold. I can run around in snow in shorts, and ride a motorcycle through a sub-zero day. It will be addressed. However, since I have no clue how the AC works at the venue, I am going to suggest that everyone bring layers and be ready for anything. I hate that that has to be my answer, but without knowledge of how it works, it's the best I can do.

- Weird Hotel Rules - Yeah, don't even get me started on that one. There were a LOT of people that were pissed at paying nearly $200/night for limits on every single thing out there. It was caused by a misunderstanding, fueled by a rather...enthusiastic...approach to dealing with it. The story is long and boring, and I am very much adding it to the list of stuff to take up with the con.

- Badge Art - I will add it to the list, but don't hold your breath.

- Power - I will ask what it will take for there to be power drops, but keep in mind that it might end up raising the table prices by a very signifigant margin. I am not saying that it absolutely cannot be done - just that it may change things.

- WiFi - See the note about power.

Let me make one thing clear about this hotel - it is a massively large one. They make their money by charging for things that are then added to the expense accounts of executives, who then get re-imbursed (or just use the company credit card). This place holds events for HUGE expensive things, and the fact that they have our (some stupid number) of people means less to them than you would think.

Which means that we all have to be very, very clever. I, personally, refuse to pay a stupid amount of money for power or wifi - so my entire setup in the Dealer's room does not NEED either one. Can I enjoy them when they are available - of course! But I do not NEED them to function. And, while I hate to tell everyone that they need to start thinking like that - you all need to start thinking like that. There is a metric ton of options to take credit cards without having a 'normal' wifi connection - or phone for that matter (I have never had good luck getting a signal in a conference space unless it was NOT an emergency). There are a ton of options for powering things in the booth with batteries, rather than having to plug in. Much as I hate to remind you all - paper and pencil still work.

I will, of course, bring up the fact that so many want power and wifi. Because if there is a way to do it without killing the price of tables, then of course you guys would want it. But I'm also going to tell you that if your display REQUIRES either one, then be prepared to pay through the nose. Unfortunately, it may be your only option.

OK, back to attempting to make sense of these notes.

Oh, and just for the couple of you who are like this:

TL:DR - There are issues that are being collected and all will be presented to the con. Learn to live without power or wifi.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. - Blaise Pascal
Hastur

Postby Starrydance » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Zynchilada wrote:
Alicechan wrote:

Some of those creatures make me burst out laughing.

Im at the island of the ghost that bugs people in the bathroom.....
Starrydance

Postby ShinobiOnToast » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

At least we're not doing 'general Eastern mythology'. I'd love to be at the Asura table but it wouldn't be worth the chance of being at Shirime or Dab Tsog. (Not that we have enough tables to get to 'S' in the first place, but still...)
ShinobiOnToast

Postby Proz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Hastur wrote:Let me make one thing clear about this hotel - it is a massively large one. They make their money by charging for things that are then added to the expense accounts of executives, who then get re-imbursed (or just use the company credit card). This place holds events for HUGE expensive things, and the fact that they have our (some stupid number) of people means less to them than you would think.

Which means that we all have to be very, very clever. I, personally, refuse to pay a stupid amount of money for power or wifi - so my entire setup in the Dealer's room does not NEED either one. Can I enjoy them when they are available - of course! But I do not NEED them to function. And, while I hate to tell everyone that they need to start thinking like that - you all need to start thinking like that. There is a metric ton of options to take credit cards without having a 'normal' wifi connection - or phone for that matter (I have never had good luck getting a signal in a conference space unless it was NOT an emergency). There are a ton of options for powering things in the booth with batteries, rather than having to plug in. Much as I hate to remind you all - paper and pencil still work.

I just want to validate what Hastur has said as I've run into the same thing. This is a common thing for a convention center or 5 star hotel as they hold the power to do whatever they want. This means you're forced to use exclusive contractors who can charge what they want. You want an electrical drop? That'll be $150. You want exclusive WiFi access in the Exhibit Hall? That'll be $250 per device per DAY. Want it for 3 days for 8 devices, wired only? That'll be $1500 and you won't even get 5mb speed. Wireless? That'll be $4000. Want a water cooler? That'll be $75.

(I don't know the actual prices from the Anatole, I'm just quoting what other contractors have sent me)

Now, you are allowed to bring in 4G hotspots as they can not block it per FCC. I did try to use a hotspot at our table but the traffic was so congested that I couldn't get anything on Friday and Saturday.

Just be glad that Texas is a non-union state who do not force people to use union workers to allow you to haul in your stuff. The prices would jump significantly.
Proz

Postby jensequitur » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm

The only problem with WiFi is that many people use Square. And if they don't use Square, they use the PayPal dongle. And if they don't use the PayPal dongle, then they use the ProPay dongle. If that's not good enough, AT&T now has one.

All of these things are great for vendors like me, who can't afford the CC fees and monthly maintenance cost of a cc account. However, you need data roaming, if there's no WiFi. Fortunately I was able to get Square to work at the Anatole, although Facebook wouldn't.

> And, to help everyone better know what time it was, we could have a small troupe run through, with a gong, once on the hour, every hour, announcing the hour.

YES! Perhaps a small team of volunteers in a Chinese dragon suit, running up and down the aisles. That would rock.
jensequitur

Postby meauho » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm

jensequitur wrote:
Hastur wrote:And, to help everyone better know what time it was, we could have a small troupe run through, with a gong, once on the hour, every hour, announcing the hour.

YES! Perhaps a small team of volunteers in a Chinese dragon suit, running up and down the aisles. That would rock.

The problem is, we have so few volunteers that we would only have the people to staff either the gong or the dragon suit.
meauho

Postby ShinobiOnToast » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Maybe the dragon could have bells on it? That would provide sound, and the visual spectacle would make up for it not being an actual gong.
...of course, they could get one of those lolwuthuge stationary ones, and set it up to be rung from one spot. They're pretty loud.
ShinobiOnToast

Postby Silvernomiko » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:55 am

Zynchilada wrote:
Alicechan wrote:

I kinda like the idea of the islands having some sort of signage for them like one lone PVC pole with a flag/sign taped to it to indicate island #/name/order/etc. Of course that would require some sort of budget to either supply them and/or allow people to keep 'em at the table assuming it doesn't affect their display (like a tall display but can still be clamped to a table edge, or maybe the next table over or something. Wouldn't be very difficult and would be reusable. And it could be two per island, one on each end to help with the island labeling.
Silvernomiko

Postby Starrydance » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Thats a good idea, a flag of some kind. *adds to list*
Starrydance

PreviousNext

Return to 2013