General 2015 A-kon Chatter!

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

General 2015 A-kon Chatter!

Postby Starrydance » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Lists are Here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=241&p=3308#p3308

All Signups are closed, Waitlist is full!
Starrydance

Re: NO info for 2015 yet!

Postby Starrydance » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Bumping this as folks are starting to pester me on my art accounts.

My Facebook pages and Deviant art accounts arent for random Akon AA questions, so please - if you tell someone "Go ask Starrydance!" Send them - HERE - for information.
Starrydance

Postby Starrydance » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:46 pm

We are starting to rough out things here and there through our own fall conventions, holiday prep, etc!

There should be no official annoucements of changes, dates, etc until mid to late January. As always, all things will be email blasted out and posted here.

The ONE thing I greatly, greatly, and HEAVILY suggest you do is have an easy to navigate, ALL YOUR ART gallery that perhaps shows at least one shot of your table set up. There might be a ban / automatic no to galleries on places like Tumblr, etc - not counting those that are purely maintained personal galleries.

If your art is mixed in with reposts, personal stuff, etc, we - WILL NOT - go digging for it. Deviant art is free, go park your art there. Further, if you but link us to your Etsy Shop and its on Vacation Mode during jury selection process it MIGHT be an automatic no. Yes, we can click back through your sold items but it if we have to dig and hunt for your art it will be a mark off.

Take your gallery presentation seriously.

Currently there is no distinct plan to judge jury wise on anything but :

1) It is actually your art
2) It is not made in banned formats, or traced logos/screenshots.
3) If you h ave an overlarge booth/Banner/skill set, it is a detractor. You need to be able to fit in your booth, not over every line and STILL spilling over.
4) As far as I am aware, if you are a Photographer or Cosplayer, you must go through other channels, AA is for handmade/handdrawn arts and crafters.
5) You are previously banned/on suspension. If you are, you already know this. If you are wondering IF you are, you are likely not.
6) If your Tax ID and your website dont work or dont match, its a No. No exceptions.

As it stands there is only three "vote ranks" the jury does: Yes, No, and Maybe. The only "Maybe" votes ever cast are over crafts we are unsure of, or banned/suspension related. We do not, currently, rank your actual arts or craft level. It is mostly a speed test.

Feel free - TO MESSAGE ME HERE - any questions. Please dont poke me all over the known universe, it makes me snarly and snappy and you wont like my answers!
Starrydance

Postby Kiriska » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:18 am

We had a mid-February reg date last year. Should we expect about the same for this year?
Kiriska

Postby Starrydance » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:20 pm

There should be a formal email blast / announcements the first weekend in Feb.

Thats all the news there is until then!
Starrydance

Postby Shattered-Earth » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Hope all is going well in Texas land!
Shattered-Earth

Postby Kiriska » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 am

Weekend has come and gone. Any update? :>
Kiriska

Postby Shattered-Earth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm just hoping it's not during kawaii/zenkaikon or anime boston TuT
Shattered-Earth

Postby Starrydance » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Hopefully by this weekend, we all have full time jobs now and we have to wrangle a lot of information before we blast it out to the wide world.

I have checked the signup date we intend against other big conventions, as I do every year, to attempt to not do just that.

Edit - Sorry for the silence on our end, its not intentional - I just have had a complete devouring of my time and this weekend ended up being completely shot.

I am spending most of my day off tomorrow on getting everything ready for final approval!
Starrydance

Re: NO info for 2015 yet! - Should be info Mid Feb.

Postby shinmyk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:45 pm

thanks for the update!
shinmyk

Postby Shattered-Earth » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Oh i think we totally understand you guys have busy lives :) I think we mostly post.. out of nervousness LOL here's hoping everything comes together not just for us but for your stress levels too!
Shattered-Earth

Postby Starrydance » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Rules and Dates are set, just pending final approval.

Looks good to blast out on Friday! ^_^

Edit - no worries about being all Starry! Omg! A Date has passed!

Anyone that knows me knows dates arent my strong suit and I never mind a reminder of a due date!
Starrydance

Postby Aisha » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 pm

At least you're able to hop on and say "Sorry guys, no news yet!" instead of being non responsive like some places.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Re: Info Begins!

Postby Nbolen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:38 am

So I have a question about the rules about if your Tax I.D. website don't match. My tax I.D. is under my name Nina Bolen (waiting for them to send me a new copy too, but number is still the same) & the DBA is The Whimsical Art of Nina Bolen but what I want to sell at the con & show the jury is my hand-made collectible line Happy Dragons. In other words my Tax I.D. is not under Happy Dragons sense it's a line within my artwork. Which the site is happy-dragons.com So would that be considered not matching? Or is it OK sense it's still my artwork? Sorry to be so confusing & I hope that all makes sense. I just don't want to be kicked because of a rule that I misunderstood ^_^
Nbolen

Re: Info Begins!

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Nbolen wrote:So I have a question about the rules about if your Tax I.D. website don't match. My tax I.D. is under my name Nina Bolen (waiting for them to send me a new copy too, but number is still the same) & the DBA is The Whimsical Art of Nina Bolen but what I want to sell at the con & show the jury is my hand-made collectible line Happy Dragons. In other words my Tax I.D. is not under Happy Dragons sense it's a line within my artwork. Which the site is happy-dragons.com So would that be considered not matching? Or is it OK sense it's still my artwork? Sorry to be so confusing & I hope that all makes sense. I just don't want to be kicked because of a rule that I misunderstood ^_^

It should be fine as long as it matches your name, your studio name, or an email you have!

Many artists have either than own name, an overall Studio name that doesnt necessarily match their "Table Name", so no worries!

Youll be fine! ^_^

If anyone has concerns about a slightly wonky overlap of DBA / Tax ID / Studio name, feel free to message me s I can take that into account. Lucky for you, personally, Nina, I totes know who you are and the Happy Dragons so good luck in the typing speed test that is signups!
Starrydance

Next

Return to 2015