A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2/16

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2/16

Postby Starrydance » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:28 pm

A-kon Artist Alley 2015

Signup Date: March 1st at 3pm CST

The Link - http://www.artistalleys.com/A-Kon/ -
Signup Process: Jury / First Come First Serve
Table Price: $175 for ONE table, and one table only. It comes with two badges, additional badges are $45 each until May 15th (5/15/15), after that on site ONLY for $65.

Get Ready for the Jury:

- Get your Texas Tax ID. Have it be VALID and ACTIVE. We really do go down the list, and automatically bounce anyone out of the Jury if it isnt.
- Have a EASY to navigate, YOUR arts and crafts ONLY gallery to view. If we have to register, dig through reblogs, or try to guess, you will be bounced out.
- Be READY to pay within a week of List annoucements, you have seven days to pay. That date will be announced with the Signup Date.
- If you are found to cheat, to have multiple friends signing up with spurious DBAs, you will be bounced.

There WILL be updated rules for 2015.

Reminder: The AkonAA @ Gmail address is Hasturs main contact, and it is NOT checked more than once a week, and mainly it is used for staff communication. If you have questions about signups, galleries, or other general questions it is best to ask me directly at AkonAA @ Starrydance (dot) com, but be warned, I will NOT be able to answer if you can get in, if you will get in, what order you signed up in, sell you badges, give you peeks at the map, or many other things. I can only answer simple questions, or update information for the jury, or nod you in the correct direction.

I will not be at the emails beck and call this year, please give at least a few days for me to reply and double check any answers.

Further, you can follow my official A-kon Artist Alley Twitter - https://twitter.com/AkonArtistAlley

I will update it as I can during the day!

New Rules for 2015!

A-kon Artist Alley for 2015:

Signups for the First Come First Serve JURY based registration are on Sunday March 1st at 3pm CST.
Tables are 6’X30”, with approximately 4 feet behind (for approximately 6’X6’ of space). Tables are not to be moved without specific permission from AA Staff, and staying within your space will be strictly enforced.
You may only sign up for ONE table.
Tables are $175.00, which includes two Akon Artist Alley Badges. Additional Badges are $45.00. Every person at the table must have a badge, and must have a badge to enter the Alley.
The List will be posted on April 1st, 2015.
All applicants MUST have a valid and active Texas Tax ID at the time of registration.
All applicants must be 18 years or older.

The Staff:
Head of Artist Alley: Claudia / Hastur
Artist Alley Lieutenant: Gwynn / Starrydance
Assistant: Spizzy
Artist Alley volunteers, as indicated by the special badge we all will be wearing

AA Hours:
AA Hours - Will Match Dealer's Hours

Thursday:
3:00 pm - TBD (setup day)
Friday:
TBD
Saturday:
TBD
Sunday:
TBD

The Jury Process:
The Jury Process is an entirely online application through (Website). On March 1st at 3pm CST – the link to the database will become live and allow artists to register for the jury based application. For the application, an artist must have:
A valid and active Texas Tax ID
A working, easy to navigate gallery of their own finished work. This can include pictures of crafts, pictures of pictures that they have made and will sell prints of, etc.
A description of their display
Working and valid emails and other contact information. AA Staff will not track artists down if info is incorrect.
The Jury will review and vote upon applicants, in order of their submittal, during the month of March. On April 1st, 2015, the final list of Artists, Crafters, and the Wait List will be posted. The Map will arrive sometime in the month of April.
There are four members of the Jury, who look over each Artists application until both the List and Wait List are full. There is no rating of artists, only a “Yes”, a “No”, or a “Maybe”. Criteria used for judging include:
It must be one Artists handmade artwork, or crafts. Shared tables or Studio tables must be applied for stating such. Every artist selling their wares MUST have their own Tax ID for Texas.
A working website that is Artist Alley related. If a website does not work, or can not easily be navigated to find the work, it can garner a No vote.
No selling items that break the rules of Akon, such as Food, Bootleg, Weapons (see policies) or other.
Some services – such as Photographers – are not allowed in the Alley.
Both Artists and Crafters must have a handmade element to their table. If a table appears mass produced, or “stick a bird on it”, then it will be passed onto the wait list.
It must be the applicants OWN artwork. No agents or clubs!
To state it once more: HAVE a clean, working Gallery:
There are many free websites such as Deviant Art and more to park a gallery at!
Personal Tumblrs that are full of other artists or reblogs will be voted No
Blogs that must be scrolled through excessively will be voted No
Galleries that show very little products or are locked down, require registration, or have no Artistic or Craft items will be voted No
Once the list has been filled with the Yes, No, and Maybe votes, the tables Maybe’s will be given queries to determine if they are Yes or No.
Once the items have been determined Yes or No, the tables will be allocated, in first come order, to the ones that the jury has voted Yes to. No’s will be removed from the list. Once the tables have been filled, the remaining Yes’s will be deemed Wait Listed.

Rules of the Table

Tables are (Size) and Artists may only apply, or have, one table. A few exceptions are grandfathered in. No new exceptions will currently be made.
Artist may not move their table within your space without permission from the AA Staff. Build your display upon the table as it is set, or send an inquiry to akonaa@gmail.com, AFTER the sign-up. Have a plan for if you are refused.
Displays may only be 8 feet off the table, and stable. They may not hang into the aisle or into another’s booth. If your neighbors complain about you infringing on their space, you will be given ONE warning and only one to work with the neighbors.
Each Artist selling MUST have their own Tax ID.
There is a default of two chairs per table. There may never be more than four people behind each table at any given time.
Stay within your lines! If an Artist has four people, they still must keep all things behind the table neatly stowed within their lines. No blocking the aisles, and no going into neighbors booths.
The back of your area may only have a minimum of posters, or a banner, to show your wares. Your back display must NEVER overpower the front of any display behind you. No towers of prints to the sky. It disrupts the alley.
Artists MUST have permission to make displays over one table. “Sit Next To” is NEVER guaranteed – do NOT plan on joint tables.
Rulebreakers will be warned one time only, and can be banned or put on probation for future years of the Alley.

Set up and Check in
Will be announced officially via Email closer to the Convention. The general times and dates will be comparable to previous years.
As in previous years, you will be required to check in before you will be allowed to set up on the Thursday before the con
As in previous years, we will be setting up tables before anyone is allowed to set up their display
As in previous years, there will be one cloth per table provided – plan on bringing your own as needed
This year will be slightly different in that there will be an unloading area both behind and in front of the AA, with a staffer to help ensure that traffic moves properly.
As in previous years, you will be required to load your stuff in and move your vehicle out of the way as quickly as possible
If you make it in:
Payment will be in PayPal only
You may have as many extra badges as you need but only a maximum of four behind the table
Don’t be a wanker
People will be given one warning and one warning only – if you get two warnings for two different things, that counts as breaking one warning and then breaking the rules. Breaking the rules will be considered grounds for expulsion
We reserve the right to tell you to hide anything in order to follow the rules as set out by A-Kon for weaponry, bootlegs, adult material, etc.
We conduct secret shops and not necessarily using our staff. If you fail a secret shop, you will get ONE warning before we release you.
If we get too many negative comments about you or your behavior, then you may be denied in future AAs. We ask all of our participants to give us a report, and while we may not comment on any of them individually, we DO take them into consideration for future events. Be a good neighbor.

There you have it - the rules for this year's Artist Alley. Please use the time between now and March 1 to test the Database so that you know what to expect, and good luck to all of you.

Thank you.

- Claudia T Smith
A-Kon Artist Alley Coordinator
Starrydance

Re: A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration

Postby AshHavynn » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:34 pm

additional badges are $45 each until May 15th (5/15/15), after that on site ONLY for $65.

Ok, so does this mean we can't have our table helpers purchase their own badges through the a-kon website and then get them marked at con ops this year? This is typically what I do, since my helpers don't usually have the money in time for "I need to pay for my table" time, and love them though I do, I don't have $90 to spot their badges.
AshHavynn

Postby Starrydance » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 pm

AshHavynn wrote:
additional badges are $45 each until May 15th (5/15/15), after that on site ONLY for $65.

Ok, so does this mean we can't have our table helpers purchase their own badges through the a-kon website and then get them marked at con ops this year? This is typically what I do, since my helpers don't usually have the money in time for "I need to pay for my table" time, and love them though I do, I don't have $90 to spot their badges.

"The Mark" will be available at Artist Alley Head Dojo, the table owner with their badge must be present to receive said Mark! So no worries if helpers have their badges from other sources, just have them come get stickered!
Starrydance

Postby Starrydance » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:37 pm

We are waiting for final approval before announcing everything.
Starrydance

Postby Thejistco » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 am

Hi! So, I'm from Utah and have a federal tax ID number, do I still need a Texas Tax number? I've tried to apply, but it'll take 2-3 weeks for everything to go through and I'll probably miss the sign-ups, so I'm not sure what to do.
Thejistco

Postby Kiriska » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:48 am

I'm not staff, but I'm pretty sure you'll still need the Texas ID because you'd still need to pay Texas sales tax. It's weird that it should take that long though? iirc the online form spits out a number pretty fast. I'd try calling in if you're having trouble -- the comptroller's office is usually pretty helpful/accommodating (shocking, right?).
Kiriska

Postby Aisha » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:17 pm

You will need a Texas sales tax ID. You shouldn't have to wait 2-3 weeks as long as you're a US citizen with a social security number. You should get your number immediately, and they'll send a paper ID in a few weeks.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby Thejistco » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Thank you!
That makes me feel a lot better.
Thejistco

Postby AshHavynn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:24 pm

My e-mail says "Table: $175.00 - Includes two Membership Badges" ?
Which would actually be GREAT but is something I need clarified if this is gonna be the actual deal. With I'm guessing a tentative or final signup date of March 1 2015?
AshHavynn

Postby Starrydance » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Thejistco wrote:Hi! So, I'm from Utah and have a federal tax ID number, do I still need a Texas Tax number? I've tried to apply, but it'll take 2-3 weeks for everything to go through and I'll probably miss the sign-ups, so I'm not sure what to do.

You ABSOLUTELY need a Texas Tax ID. You wont even be juried without one, its an automatic bounce from the signups if you do not have an Active, valid ID. We wish we could be less hardnosed about it, but folks in the past "oh we promise we will get one!" and its just been way too much drama, so we require it 100%.

Sign up online and just use todays date to bypass the 90day error, and then youre set! We just need the number to get you registered, not the piece of paper (which you will need to bring to check in and get your table)
Starrydance

Postby Starrydance » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm

AshHavynn wrote:My e-mail says "Table: $175.00 - Includes two Membership Badges" ?
Which would actually be GREAT but is something I need clarified if this is gonna be the actual deal. With I'm guessing a tentative or final signup date of March 1 2015?

The tables are absolutely set at $175 with TWO badges, that is final, Meri-approved answer!

The signup date (might!) be March 1st, it should announce this week.
Starrydance

Postby Thejistco » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:52 am

Starrydance wrote:
Thejistco wrote:Hi! So, I'm from Utah and have a federal tax ID number, do I still need a Texas Tax number? I've tried to apply, but it'll take 2-3 weeks for everything to go through and I'll probably miss the sign-ups, so I'm not sure what to do.

You ABSOLUTELY need a Texas Tax ID. You wont even be juried without one, its an automatic bounce from the signups if you do not have an Active, valid ID. We wish we could be less hardnosed about it, but folks in the past "oh we promise we will get one!" and its just been way too much drama, so we require it 100%.

Sign up online and just use todays date to bypass the 90day error, and then youre set! We just need the number to get you registered, not the piece of paper (which you will need to bring to check in and get your table)

Thank you! I was able to get it today! I had to apply under my name, instead of my studio's name. I hope that's okay?
Thejistco

Postby Starrydance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Thejistco wrote:
Starrydance wrote:

Thank you! I was able to get it today! I had to apply under my name, instead of my studio's name. I hope that's okay?

As long as its your were happy!
Starrydance

Re: A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2

Postby Starrydance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 pm

The big announcement has been made!
Starrydance

Re: A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2

Postby emka » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Nooooooo! I saw the date in time in the last two emails, but stayed quiet hoping it wasn't official. No such luck I guess. Out of curiosity, why the decision to go with a time during work hours instead of in the evening? I know it's a Sunday, but for me and the other people I've spoken to, that's still a work day.

Looks like I'll have to get permission from my boss to step out for a bit and hope the work internet doesn't suck. :(
emka

Next

Return to 2015