A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2/16

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2

Postby Starrydance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:43 pm

emka wrote:Nooooooo! I saw the date in time in the last two emails, but stayed quiet hoping it wasn't official. No such luck I guess. Out of curiosity, why the decision to go with a time during work hours instead of in the evening? I know it's a Sunday, but for me and the other people I've spoken to, that's still a work day.

Looks like I'll have to get permission from my boss to step out for a bit and hope the work internet doesn't suck. :(

We have in the past done many polls, and asked many people. There is NO one good time for everyone, so we have gone with the majority which is Sunday Afternoon.

This year its about the only day that I, or the DBA, have possibly free is Sundays so weve stuck with it. I know it doesnt work for everyone, and thats really a bummer - but between trying our best to set it at a reachable time, and not on a weekend with a big convention, that we can do it ourselves - the windows get very narrow.

It will likely be Sunday or Saturday for most Signups and Announcements.
Starrydance

Postby Buzzard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

The "Thanks for helping" email lists the signup time as "March 1st @ 13:00"... which is 1PM, not 3PM. Can we get an absolute clarification of that so we don't either have folks showing up two hours late for a thing that will sell out in half a minute, or people taking time off work two hours early?

...Also registering dislike of the mandatory two badge minimum; I row my boat solo, so I'll be stuck trying to sublet a badge if I get in, and most of my friends don't come to A-Kon any more. $175 is pretty steep just to include an unwanted extra badge.
Buzzard

Postby Starrydance » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Buzzard wrote:The "Thanks for helping" email lists the signup time as "March 1st @ 13:00"... which is 1PM, not 3PM. Can we get an absolute clarification of that so we don't either have folks showing up two hours late for a thing that will sell out in half a minute, or people taking time off work two hours early?

...Also registering dislike of the mandatory two badge minimum; I row my boat solo, so I'll be stuck trying to sublet a badge if I get in, and most of my friends don't come to A-Kon any more. $175 is pretty steep just to include an unwanted extra badge.

Its 3pm CST, utterly.

The price increase has nothing to do with the second badge. Tables were $150 last year, and are $175 this year.

Considering prices of tables in the Texas region, Akon is very fairly priced for the attendee ratio!

(Also, we dont really set prices, so while I understand - $25 upgrade in price AND you get a second badge is going to work out for most people. Sorry it doesnt for you!)
Starrydance

Postby X-Chan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:21 am

Has the test sign-up page gone down? I'm getting a 404 Not Found but I thought we had until March 1st to test it. I didn't get a chance to do the test yet and would love the chance to get used to this year's forms.. hope it comes back up!
X-Chan

Postby Starrydance » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:08 pm

X-Chan wrote:Has the test sign-up page gone down? I'm getting a 404 Not Found but I thought we had until March 1st to test it. I didn't get a chance to do the test yet and would love the chance to get used to this year's forms.. hope it comes back up!

We might test it again this weekend, we almost never leave the test up for extended periods - it just leads to people trying to cheat, sadly.

I'll ask if we can do one Sunday afternoon for those that missed it!
Starrydance

Postby oanhderbread » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Starrydance wrote:
X-Chan wrote:Has the test sign-up page gone down? I'm getting a 404 Not Found but I thought we had until March 1st to test it. I didn't get a chance to do the test yet and would love the chance to get used to this year's forms.. hope it comes back up!

We might test it again this weekend, we almost never leave the test up for extended periods - it just leads to people trying to cheat, sadly.

Yes, please!! :)
oanhderbread

Postby X-Chan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Starrydance wrote:

That would be so great! Thanks Starry. I hope we'll get another shot :)
X-Chan

Postby Buzzard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

3PM CST

Thanks; it seems obvious, but it would stink frozen for someone trying to sign up in good faith to get shut out from something that simple.

it just leads to people trying to cheat

Y'all should find a way to leave it up as a trap, then-- thin the herd by catching attempted cheaters and not telling them until after signup that they're being blacklisted for cheating.
Buzzard

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Buzzard wrote:
3PM CST

Thanks; it seems obvious, but it would stink frozen for someone trying to sign up in good faith to get shut out from something that simple.

it just leads to people trying to cheat

Y'all should find a way to leave it up as a trap, then-- thin the herd by catching attempted cheaters and not telling them until after signup that they're being blacklisted for cheating.

Considering the 3pm CST is posted everywhere, the test email after the testing of the DBA was just a test of the email and data, not an official staff announcement.

And honestly its not worth it to try to trap the cheaters - weve got better things to do then add to the Blacklist.

Edit: Besides, that email was accidentally set two hours early. They werent going to miss it!
Starrydance

Postby oanhderbread » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:00 am

Hi! Wondering if the test will open up a bit tomorrow? :)
oanhderbread

Postby Starrydance » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm

oanhderbread wrote:Hi! Wondering if the test will open up a bit tomorrow? :)

I think the DBA has no time for it today, I'll see if he can this evening but his afternoon is full.
Starrydance

Postby Hastur » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm

You all should have gotten the final link that has the countdown that will flip to the sign up at 3:00pm on 1-March-2015.

A couple of notes, if I may:

Price/Extra badges - This came down from the con. Period. I actually tried to reduce the price to $165 with only one badge, but they are wanting to go in this direction. I had nothing to do with the policy. I recognize that this is an increase of approximately 13%. I also recognize that there are a lot of "solo fliers". Unfortunately this is what it is. For what it is worth, since the tables now include two memberships, in the future, you can start planning on who to bring so that you can take the occasional break. I'm sorry that this hurts the "solo fliers" but this has been handed to us.

Sign-up time - I know that this is going to interrupt some people's day, but as Starry indicated, we are doing our best to have it so that it benefits the most people, overall. Again, I hate that the response here is a "It is what it is" but.... it is. For those of you that are working at that time, don't forget that you have friends. I know that if this were during a time that I was at work, and I found out as early as fifteen minutes before that I HAD to be absent, I would have my husband/friend/boytoy/creature grabbing my information and doing the signup for me. You have a few days, so, with respect to all of your insanely busy schedules, please, please, please do what you need to do so that you have a chance to get in.

Texas Sales Tax - To anyone that is coming in from out of town, I give you my David Tennant impression: I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry. But it's a fixed moment in time. Seriously, though, we have, have, have to do it this way. A-Kon is HUGE, and as such, like other large cons, is getting attention from the government. This means that while we enforced the rule hard before, we are going to be even harder this year and every year. For what it is worth, as has been pointed out, you can get one for free, and have the actual number, once you are signed up. Additionally, if you find that you don't need it this year, it takes five minutes to let TX know in January that you did not collect any Sales tax, and you will have it for next year's try.

That's it. In between calls and documentation now, I've got a map to draw and guest tables to plant whilst awaiting the first. Good luck to all of you!
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. - Blaise Pascal
Hastur

Postby Kiriska » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Additionally, if you find that you don't need it this year, it takes five minutes to let TX know in January that you did not collect any Sales tax, and you will have it for next year's try.

Just wanted to point out that TX requires quarterly filing unless you call in specifically and arrange for annual. They will penalize you for failing to file (even $0), though most of the time if you call in and explain, they will waive the fee. iirc, quarterly files are due at the end of April, June, September, and January.
Kiriska

Postby Spizzy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Kiriska wrote:
Additionally, if you find that you don't need it this year, it takes five minutes to let TX know in January that you did not collect any Sales tax, and you will have it for next year's try.

Just wanted to point out that TX requires quarterly filing unless you call in specifically and arrange for annual. They will penalize you for failing to file (even $0), though most of the time if you call in and explain, they will waive the fee. iirc, quarterly files are due at the end of April, June, September, and January.

On the contrary, I just signed up for a new one (because I couldn't figure out any way to update my address) and after checking a box saying that I would not make more than 13k a quater or something, it automatically listed me as yearly when i was all done. I don't recall that being there last time I had to update it so maybe it's a recent change.
Spizzy

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 am

Because Ive been getting questions, there is not a "No Tumblr" gallery rule.

There is a rule that if it IS Tumblr, it MUST be your art - collabs or not - and not a bunch of reblogs.

If we have to dig or figure out what is or isnt your art, youll get an automatic no.
Starrydance

PreviousNext

Return to 2015