A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2/16

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: A-kon Artist Alley 2015 - Rules & Registration Updated 2

Postby Kiriska » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:12 am

Spizzy wrote:
Kiriska wrote:
Additionally, if you find that you don't need it this year, it takes five minutes to let TX know in January that you did not collect any Sales tax, and you will have it for next year's try.

Just wanted to point out that TX requires quarterly filing unless you call in specifically and arrange for annual. They will penalize you for failing to file (even $0), though most of the time if you call in and explain, they will waive the fee. iirc, quarterly files are due at the end of April, June, September, and January.

On the contrary, I just signed up for a new one (because I couldn't figure out any way to update my address) and after checking a box saying that I would not make more than 13k a quater or something, it automatically listed me as yearly when i was all done. I don't recall that being there last time I had to update it so maybe it's a recent change.

Oh, neat! That's excellent! I'm really glad they changed that, haha.
Kiriska

Postby Buzzard » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:32 am

Starrydance wrote:Tumblr

Probably you're already aware of it, but in case anyone else isn't-- to make it easier on y'all if anyone is using their Tumblr as their reference-- adding "/archive" to the end of their Tumblr URL will show a gallery-like list of all their posts in thumbnail form, which is as close to a functional gallery system as Tumblr appears interested in providing. It makes it a lot easier to see all of somebody's work at once.
Buzzard

Postby Aisha » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 pm

I have a question for another artist friend. For some reason, when you search her tax id/business, it's showing up as "inactive", but she's sold at cons last year. She can't figure out why it's inactive, or how to fix it, and she doesn't want to be denied for an unintentional inactive ID. What should she do to either reactivate her tax id, or make sure it doesn't impact her A-Kon status?
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Aisha wrote:I have a question for another artist friend. For some reason, when you search her tax id/business, it's showing up as "inactive", but she's sold at cons last year. She can't figure out why it's inactive, or how to fix it, and she doesn't want to be denied for an unintentional inactive ID. What should she do to either reactivate her tax id, or make sure it doesn't impact her A-Kon status?

Shes going to have to call, we cant give advice on Tax based things - sorry!
Starrydance

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Starrydance wrote:Tumblr

Probably you're already aware of it, but in case anyone else isn't-- to make it easier on y'all if anyone is using their Tumblr as their reference-- adding "/archive" to the end of their Tumblr URL will show a gallery-like list of all their posts in thumbnail form, which is as close to a functional gallery system as Tumblr appears interested in providing. It makes it a lot easier to see all of somebody's work at once.

Nice tip, but the warning still stands.

Link a working, EASY TO USE gallery that doesnt take extra steps. Doesnt matter what that extra step is, its on the shoulders of the applicant to make sure they have a professional gallery.

We have to do hundreds and hundreds of these. Sure "its one little step, its no big deal". And then every gallery needs one thing, and it spirals into insanity. Further, its not about "just the reblogs". Its about folks that have a more personal Tumblr. If we have to wade through pictures of you dog, and your dinner, and sketches - which are all great from a getting to know the artist perspective, it is not a GALLERY.

Its just not that hard to make a quick, easy, just your own arts/crafts Gallery.
Starrydance

Postby Buzzard » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Starrydance wrote:Link a working, EASY TO USE gallery that doesnt take extra steps.

I was mostly hoping that anyone who was planning to use their Tumblr as a gallery would take the extra step themselves to save y'all the work; it's really better to just use Deviantart or Etsy in the first place, but as long as someone has an ART ONLY Tumblr, tacking /archive on the end would greatly improve their chances of not getting auto-bounced.

...How many otherwise acceptable artists got bounced last time for not submitting a decent gallery?
Buzzard

Postby Starrydance » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Starrydance wrote:Link a working, EASY TO USE gallery that doesnt take extra steps.

I was mostly hoping that anyone who was planning to use their Tumblr as a gallery would take the extra step themselves to save y'all the work; it's really better to just use Deviantart or Etsy in the first place, but as long as someone has an ART ONLY Tumblr, tacking /archive on the end would greatly improve their chances of not getting auto-bounced.

...How many otherwise acceptable artists got bounced last time for not submitting a decent gallery?

Quite a few WOULD have, but as I said - last year we tracked them down by artist name or went searching.

There were only a few we just couldnt figure out who they were by their Tumblr ID nor find artwork to track back with a decent search.

This year, its a Gallery or nothin', and weve been warning since the end of A-kon last year so!

I like Tumblr (of course!) but its just so easy to reblog or link, that it can dilute the use as a gallery. That said, several people had VERY slick, very well organized, perfect Tumblrs with buttons that went to finished pieces, products, sketches, personal etc. So it can be awesome, just most of the "ugh, not again" problem galleries last year happened to be Tumblr.

Or, you know, Etsy shops on Vacation. With no other websites popping up under their store name. Not much we can do from that!
Starrydance

Postby chrislea » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Oh, guys! Protip! If anyone has a Deviantart account, go to http://portfolio.deviantart.com and you'll get a 100% free portfolio. They do all the coding for you, and you get to pick out your name (doesn't have to be your dA handle) and domain. They host the pictures and everything. They'll even let you upload a resume. It's simple, but very clean and professional. You can use that to set up a site for juries or potential clients to look at without showing them a less-than-family-friendly dA gallery or a ton of reblogs.
Last edited by chrislea on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrislea

Postby Starrydance » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 am

chrislea wrote:Oh, guys! Protip! If anyone has a Deviantart account, go to http://portfolio.deviantart.com and you'll get a 100% free portfolio. They do all the coding for you, and you get to pick out your name (doesn't have to be your dA handle) and domain. They host the pictures and everything. They'll even let you upload a resume. It's simple, but very clean and professional. You can use that to set up a site for juries or potential clients to look at without showing them a less-than-family-friendly dA gallery.

^^ Dat right there.
Starrydance

Postby AshHavynn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:56 pm

what chrislea said

This exactly. It's super easy to use and looks very clean. I got compliments on how easy mine was to go through.
AshHavynn

Previous

Return to 2015