2015 Wrap up!

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

2015 Wrap up!

Postby Starrydance » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Was wonderful seeing you all!

As always, feel free to leave feedback or talk about the weekend or post loot pictures. If theres any private feedback, feel free to forward to either AkonAA@Gmail.com or AkonAA@Starrydance.com - but please know responses will be slow - if at all! Hastur still has days of staff wrapup, then her own home to get back to and booth to unpack at the end of the week. Whew!
Starrydance

Re: 2015 Wrap up!

Postby tachiik » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:25 am

*drools onto myself*
tachiik

Postby Proz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:37 am

Please, please, please keep Con Alley / Industry in the same place for many years. If it can arranged by when the next convention is happening I think that'll be great.

Thanks for ya'll help on Thursday.
Proz

Postby Starrydance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Proz wrote:Please, please, please keep Con Alley / Industry in the same place for many years. If it can arranged by when the next convention is happening I think that'll be great.

Thanks for ya'll help on Thursday.

A bit outside our control but Ill keep that on the list of requests!
Starrydance

Postby Shattered-Earth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:39 pm

I didn't get a chance to say hi earlier in the weekend, but thanks for the hufflepuff button during pack down XD and communicating with us on the forums all year!

I think i had a good year :O, i need to actually enter the numbers but it seemed to be good / matching last years. Check in was smooth as usual, staff was always helpful and respectful and wonderful also as usual! I got to experience what it was like to be in front and having to tell lots of attendees not to take photos without permission from the artist LOL.

I was really glad that the room did end up opening at 10am and not 9 like we thought, and that the announcement was made multiple times to clear it up. Maybe if that is an issue again next year there should be an e-mail / twitter blast too? I know some artists who left earlier on friday and didn't hear it so they showed up super early on saturday, oops!

One weird thing was how the metal gates to the left of the front entrace were closed sometimes, making artists have to walk outside through two door ways to get back inside when leaving the alley. Not a huge deal on saturday night, but a hassle on sunday with luggage. I'm sure it wasn't under AA control but i don't recall it happening last year...

ANYWAY just nitpicking now, looking forward to coming back next year! Maybe hotel prices will be reasonable again :'D
Shattered-Earth

Postby Aisha » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Shattered-Earth wrote:One weird thing was how the metal gates to the left of the front entrace were closed sometimes, making artists have to walk outside through two door ways to get back inside when leaving the alley. Not a huge deal on saturday night, but a hassle on sunday with luggage. I'm sure it wasn't under AA control but i don't recall it happening last year...

That didn't happen last year, but it did the year before, at least in the mornings (don't remember it in the evenings). I think the hotel has say over that?
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby Starrydance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Oh I forgot to update the twitter over the weekend. Forgive me! I'll do better with that next year. It wasnt really intended or part of the information stream but if its useful Ill keep more up with it!
Starrydance

Postby Starrydance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Also I forgot to say -

If you do a display up of display prints and end up tossing them after a convention, please consider bringing them to the AA staff / volunteers instead of tearing them up and throwing them out.

They bring you water and work hard all weekend and would love them! I saw a pile be dropped off and gleefully shared out amongst the Volunteers with the greatest of joy, that was super nice of you (whoever you are, I didnt see who it was!)
Starrydance

Postby Shattered-Earth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Aahh yea I figured it wasn't AA, if there's anyway to tell them to.. hold off on that, that would help at least on Sunday, seemed strange considering how short that length of hall way was right?

I actually sometimes just leave prints lying around on my table that were minor damaged after cons (a crinkled edge or creased corner, something I wouldn't sell to the public), not knowing if I was actually creating trash or if staff actually liked it. This year I dumped mine because I thought it would be trash, but next year if staff doesn't mind the cosmetic damage i'll make sure to hand them off thanks for letting us know so nothing is wasted!
Shattered-Earth

Postby Starrydance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Shattered-Earth wrote:Aahh yea I figured it wasn't AA, if there's anyway to tell them to.. hold off on that, that would help at least on Sunday, seemed strange considering how short that length of hall way was right?

I actually sometimes just leave prints lying around on my table that were minor damaged after cons (a crinkled edge or creased corner, something I wouldn't sell to the public), not knowing if I was actually creating trash or if staff actually liked it. This year I dumped mine because I thought it would be trash, but next year if staff doesn't mind the cosmetic damage i'll make sure to hand them off thanks for letting us know so nothing is wasted!

They really seemed to not mind and traded around so at it was kind of balanced to perfect and creased!

I try to remember do the same but I know its hard at the end of the weekend, whew!

As to the "exit through the Dealers Room" they were "supposed" to let artists out through the main doors but people were sitting on them so it was a danger to folks on the other side. We'll bring it up for next year to have an "Artist Exit".
Starrydance

Postby tachiik » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:39 am

WOOT!!! BED IS MY FRIEND and it has revived me!

This convention was SOOOO FUN!!!! I don't know what happened but I haven't had this much fun in a long while. Its weird too because I couldn't really leave my table. Eating and going to the bathroom is a luxery hahhah. I think it was because set up was painless, the convention was clean. I had a trash can right behind me (i made little trash bags at my table anyways) BUT STILL! Everyone was polite.

I loved using the loading dock. It saved SOO MUCH TROUBLE both loading and unloading. I loved how that this year when the con goers left. they left the entire area (even outside of the AA and dealers area) The flow of traffic was nicely done. I felt bad grunting at one poor helper who said i coudln't use the closer door to goto the bathroom but i really had to go..... :oops:

All the artists were nice and the stuff was so pretty. So all in all one of the best experiences ever!

ALSO LOVED LOVED the PA system and announcments where i can actually understand and not be like the peanuts cartoon. It gave me giggles when Hatsur announce all the lost items and i just imagine her behind a wall of badges and phones.

I know the AA helpers work hard. mabye next time in a e mail to the artists mention that at the end of the con donated art or art that is going to be thrown away be put into a box in front of the AA?
tachiik

Postby Starrydance » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:03 pm

We do totally plan to suggest that in next years emails, after seeing them dive and share so giddily ^_^
Starrydance

Postby oanhderbread » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:07 pm

I agree! This year for some reason, has been the best year. I made a little less than last year and I was at my table 99% of the time. I left for one hour Saturday and half an hour Sunday to go around the dealers and artist alley. Didn't make any panels since linecon and capping. Everything seemed really smooth. Checked in really fast, PA announcements were helpful, volunteers were wonderful. My water bottle was never empty. :) The exiting was the only thing I have to gripe about, but it is what it is. It's understandable. Great time this year. Hope to be back next<3
oanhderbread

Postby Buzzard » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Every time I went through the Alley the place seemed packed, I hope everyone had good sales!

This was my first time trying to sign up for Onsite Registration, and even at twelfth in line I got a call Saturday morning that a table was available; I had already finagled a partial table in the Dealer's Room from some friends so I passed it to the next in line, but it was good to know that it still wouldn't have been a completely wasted drive to Dallas otherwise, so thanks to the AA Staff for doing that for us. I haven't made it any further than "high on the wait list" since FCFS started and didn't even make that at all this year, so I'm just taking for granted that I'll never get in the normal way, but since the sixth person in line for Onsite actually got a table, now I know that if I can show up early enough on Thursday next year I can still have a real chance. That'll probably be my only chance, since apparently A-Kon decided that a great way to celebrate being on the same weekend as the similarly-sized Dallas Comic Con / Fan Expo Dallas in 2016 was to raise the price on Dealers' tables, and a ot of dealers with multiple tables were saying they plan to cut back on how many they sign up for next year.
Buzzard

Postby Starrydance » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Buzzard wrote:Every time I went through the Alley the place seemed packed, I hope everyone had good sales!

This was my first time trying to sign up for Onsite Registration, and even at twelfth in line I got a call Saturday morning that a table was available; I had already finagled a partial table in the Dealer's Room from some friends so I passed it to the next in line, but it was good to know that it still wouldn't have been a completely wasted drive to Dallas otherwise, so thanks to the AA Staff for doing that for us. I haven't made it any further than "high on the wait list" since FCFS started and didn't even make that at all this year, so I'm just taking for granted that I'll never get in the normal way, but since the sixth person in line for Onsite actually got a table, now I know that if I can show up early enough on Thursday next year I can still have a real chance. That'll probably be my only chance, since apparently A-Kon decided that a great way to celebrate being on the same weekend as the similarly-sized Dallas Comic Con / Fan Expo Dallas in 2016 was to raise the price on Dealers' tables, and a ot of dealers with multiple tables were saying they plan to cut back on how many they sign up for next year.

Usually we have more wait list movement before the show itself, but due to map updates from upper staff we actually had to shuffle tables carefully and there was never any movement from it, really.

That is unusal, there are usually around 10 or so that end up getting moved from the FCFS wait list, this year just isnt one of them.

The onsite one does tend to move along as folks sell out, dont show, or many other reasons and Hastur stays on top of that like a hawk! I suspect the time to sell out the AA will be even faster next year, so its good to have a few backup plans!
Starrydance

Next

Return to 2015