A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Postby meauho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:55 pm

A-kon Artist Alley 2015

Please refer to the linked for rules.

The Link - http://www.artistalleys.com/A-Kon/ -
Signup Process: Jury / First Come First Serve
Table Price: $175 for ONE table, and one table only. It comes with two badges, additional badges are $45 each until May 15th (5/15/15), after that on site ONLY for $65.

Get Ready for the Jury:

- Get your Texas Tax ID. Have it be VALID and ACTIVE. We really do go down the list, and automatically bounce anyone out of the Jury if it isnt.
- Have a EASY to navigate, YOUR arts and crafts ONLY gallery to view. If we have to register, dig through reblogs, or try to guess, you will be bounced out.
- Be READY to pay within a week of List annoucements, you have seven days to pay. That date will be announced with the Signup Date.
- If you are found to cheat, to have multiple friends signing up with spurious DBAs, you will be bounced.

There WILL be updated rules for 2015.

Reminder: The AkonAA @ Gmail address is Hasturs main contact, and it is NOT checked more than once a week, and mainly it is used for staff communication. If you have questions about signups, galleries, or other general questions it is best to ask me directly at AkonAA @ Starrydance (dot) com, but be warned, I will NOT be able to answer if you can get in, if you will get in, what order you signed up in, sell you badges, give you peeks at the map, or many other things. I can only answer simple questions, or update information for the jury, or nod you in the correct direction.

I will not be at the emails beck and call this year, please give at least a few days for me to reply and double check any answers.

Further, you can follow my official A-kon Artist Alley Twitter - https://twitter.com/AkonArtistAlley

I will update it as I can during the day!

New Rules for 2015!

A-kon Artist Alley for 2015:

Signups for the First Come First Serve JURY based registration are on Sunday March 1st at 3pm CST.
Tables are 6’X30”, with approximately 4 feet behind (for approximately 6’X6’ of space). Tables are not to be moved without specific permission from AA Staff, and staying within your space will be strictly enforced.
You may only sign up for ONE table.
Tables are $175.00, which includes two Akon Artist Alley Badges. Additional Badges are $45.00. Every person at the table must have a badge, and must have a badge to enter the Alley.
The List will be posted on April 1st, 2015.
All applicants MUST have a valid and active Texas Tax ID at the time of registration.
All applicants must be 18 years or older.

The Staff:
Head of Artist Alley: Claudia / Hastur
Artist Alley Lieutenant: Gwynn / Starrydance
Assistant: Spizzy
Artist Alley volunteers, as indicated by the special badge we all will be wearing

AA Hours:
AA Hours - Will Match Dealer's Hours

Thursday:
3:00 pm - TBD (setup day)
Friday:
TBD
Saturday:
TBD
Sunday:
TBD

The Jury Process:
The Jury Process is an entirely online application through (Website). On March 1st at 3pm CST – the link to the database will become live and allow artists to register for the jury based application. For the application, an artist must have:
A valid and active Texas Tax ID
A working, easy to navigate gallery of their own finished work. This can include pictures of crafts, pictures of pictures that they have made and will sell prints of, etc.
A description of their display
Working and valid emails and other contact information. AA Staff will not track artists down if info is incorrect.
The Jury will review and vote upon applicants, in order of their submittal, during the month of March. On April 1st, 2015, the final list of Artists, Crafters, and the Wait List will be posted. The Map will arrive sometime in the month of April.
There are four members of the Jury, who look over each Artists application until both the List and Wait List are full. There is no rating of artists, only a “Yes”, a “No”, or a “Maybe”. Criteria used for judging include:
It must be one Artists handmade artwork, or crafts. Shared tables or Studio tables must be applied for stating such. Every artist selling their wares MUST have their own Tax ID for Texas.
A working website that is Artist Alley related. If a website does not work, or can not easily be navigated to find the work, it can garner a No vote.
No selling items that break the rules of Akon, such as Food, Bootleg, Weapons (see policies) or other.
Some services – such as Photographers – are not allowed in the Alley.
Both Artists and Crafters must have a handmade element to their table. If a table appears mass produced, or “stick a bird on it”, then it will be passed onto the wait list.
It must be the applicants OWN artwork. No agents or clubs!
To state it once more: HAVE a clean, working Gallery:
There are many free websites such as Deviant Art and more to park a gallery at!
Personal Tumblrs that are full of other artists or reblogs will be voted No
Blogs that must be scrolled through excessively will be voted No
Galleries that show very little products or are locked down, require registration, or have no Artistic or Craft items will be voted No
Once the list has been filled with the Yes, No, and Maybe votes, the tables Maybe’s will be given queries to determine if they are Yes or No.
Once the items have been determined Yes or No, the tables will be allocated, in first come order, to the ones that the jury has voted Yes to. No’s will be removed from the list. Once the tables have been filled, the remaining Yes’s will be deemed Wait Listed.

Rules of the Table
Tables are (Size) and Artists may only apply, or have, one table. A few exceptions are grandfathered in. No new exceptions will currently be made.
Artist may not move their table within your space without permission from the AA Staff. Build your display upon the table as it is set, or send an inquiry to akonaa@gmail.com, AFTER the sign-up. Have a plan for if you are refused.
Displays may only be 8 feet off the table, and stable. They may not hang into the aisle or into another’s booth. If your neighbors complain about you infringing on their space, you will be given ONE warning and only one to work with the neighbors.
Each Artist selling MUST have their own Tax ID.
There is a default of two chairs per table. There may never be more than four people behind each table at any given time.
Stay within your lines! If an Artist has four people, they still must keep all things behind the table neatly stowed within their lines. No blocking the aisles, and no going into neighbors booths.
The back of your area may only have a minimum of posters, or a banner, to show your wares. Your back display must NEVER overpower the front of any display behind you. No towers of prints to the sky. It disrupts the alley.
Artists MUST have permission to make displays over one table. “Sit Next To” is NEVER guaranteed – do NOT plan on joint tables.
Rulebreakers will be warned one time only, and can be banned or put on probation for future years of the Alley.

Set up and Check in
Will be announced officially via Email closer to the Convention. The general times and dates will be comparable to previous years.
As in previous years, you will be required to check in before you will be allowed to set up on the Thursday before the con
As in previous years, we will be setting up tables before anyone is allowed to set up their display
As in previous years, there will be one cloth per table provided – plan on bringing your own as needed
This year will be slightly different in that there will be an unloading area both behind and in front of the AA, with a staffer to help ensure that traffic moves properly.
As in previous years, you will be required to load your stuff in and move your vehicle out of the way as quickly as possible
If you make it in:
Payment will be in PayPal only
You may have as many extra badges as you need but only a maximum of four behind the table
Don’t be a wanker
People will be given one warning and one warning only – if you get two warnings for two different things, that counts as breaking one warning and then breaking the rules. Breaking the rules will be considered grounds for expulsion
We reserve the right to tell you to hide anything in order to follow the rules as set out by A-Kon for weaponry, bootlegs, adult material, etc.
We conduct secret shops and not necessarily using our staff. If you fail a secret shop, you will get ONE warning before we release you.
If we get too many negative comments about you or your behavior, then you may be denied in future AAs. We ask all of our participants to give us a report, and while we may not comment on any of them individually, we DO take them into consideration for future events. Be a good neighbor.
meauho

Re: A-Kon FAQ

Postby PhantomOfTheCircus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm really, really sorry to be posting in here since I'm guessing I shouldn't. But I have no other way since you guys have the settings so that a new member cannot PM anyone. I was hoping after one post I could, but that didn't happen. Please forgive me.

I emailed this address AkonAA[at]gmail.com (yes with the @) about two months ago and I never got a message back saying I had been added to the list for updates. I really don't want to miss out on getting a table for next year. Please, is this the right address or has it changed? Has the system on how to get one changed?
~Phamtom of The Circus~
Faith & Brittany

Business mascot... Kyouya. xD
PhantomOfTheCircus

Postby Hastur » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:55 pm

It is the right address.

I have not looked at the e-mail address since A-Kon as I've been very busy. I will be updating the mailing list so that when mails start going, everyone will be getting the same information. If you mailed the address, you will be fine.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. - Blaise Pascal
Hastur

Postby Spizzy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:33 pm

I think the 'new user' group will allow all access after 3 posts but since we no longer have a spam bot issue I'll probably remove it entirely when I have some time to fiddle with it
Spizzy

Postby PhantomOfTheCircus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Thank you both very much. :)
~Phamtom of The Circus~
Faith & Brittany

Business mascot... Kyouya. xD
PhantomOfTheCircus

Postby Yukishiro » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Any idea on when there will be more information for trying to get an Artist Alley table for this years A-kon? ^_^ As I understand these tables go very quickly, just wanted to make sure I was on the ball about getting info =)
Yukishiro

Postby RavenMoon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Yukishiro wrote:Any idea on when there will be more information for trying to get an Artist Alley table for this years A-kon? ^_^ As I understand these tables go very quickly, just wanted to make sure I was on the ball about getting info =)

Hello Yukishiro, and welcome to the forums! I'm afraid I can't help answer your question about AKon registration, but I'm certain information will be posted on these forums as soon as it becomes available. There's also a mailing list you can subscribe to and receive updates (information is above).

Quick topic derail - I was just checking out your Etsy shop (really nice, clean work!) and was wondering if you might be willing to share information on how you went about getting licenses to commercially reproduce the MLP:FIM trademarks, and whether it was expensive?
RavenMoon

Postby Spizzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 pm

ah, the revival of this thread made me recall that I've neglected to put a very important rule up on this general list, maybe because I thought it was common sense. Silly me. Here it is, it is located under the Fan Art policy in the Rules section.

"Trademarks, Logos, and Official Art

The selling of items that contain replications (be them freehanded, traced, or lifted from official sources) of any official, licensed, copyrighted, and/or trademarked artwork, logo, symbol, or tagline is strictly prohibited. This is no holds bar -illegal- and not allowed at A-kon. Artists selling trademarks of any kind will be asked to remove them immediately, a repeated offense will get your table repoed without refund, and possible ejection from A-kon (in the case of the Artist Alley, the ban may be permanent). We take this very seriously--even dealers can't sell these items.

Examples of prohibited items: Perler bead pixel artwork constructed from an official and/or in-game sprite; embroideries of trademarks onto fabric, be them freehand or with a machine; Any screening or printing of trademarks, logos, etc onto ANY medium. "
Spizzy

Postby jensequitur » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 pm

I had this idea the other day for some jewelry boxes with little feet, like the Luggage from Discworld. As far as I can tell, there are little plastic statuettes of the Luggage, and people have made their own, but I can't find any licensed products from Discworld of actual boxes with feet. I think that as long as the craft you're making doesn't look like already copyrighted material, then it's okay. What do you think?
jensequitur

Postby Spizzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 pm

jensequitur wrote:I had this idea the other day for some jewelry boxes with little feet, like the Luggage from Discworld. As far as I can tell, there are little plastic statuettes of the Luggage, and people have made their own, but I can't find any licensed products from Discworld of actual boxes with feet. I think that as long as the craft you're making doesn't look like already copyrighted material, then it's okay. What do you think?

This is usually the case in how we view fanart (as you know most of us, we love fanart)-- if it can be mistaken for something official, then it isn't going to work. If it is obviously hand-made, one of a kind, and you haven't outsourced the labor to China, we're cool. Making little jewelry boxes in the likeness of a character wouldn't be the same as say, making a mold to pour plastic statuettes obviously based on said character and selling them via etsy/DA, etc. That's when it starts to fall into manufacturing.

For an example of something that would not be ok: Someone makes a pokemon plushie of cubone, done in the style of the official Pokedoll plush line. While there is no official Cubone plushie whatsoever, it -looks- like a real Pokedoll. That's when you're starting to take away from the official merchandise that already exists out there by the original creators and publishers. ( Fan-made plush as a whole is dangerous territory, especially with a property that has official plush lines, such as Pokemon; they have pokemon time, pokedoll, DX, etc. There's so many styles to choose from, you can't make one without people thinking it might be legit.) Things like MLP cutie marks is where it starts to get kind of hairy, because the symbols themselves are trademarked as part of the character design, but people put a lot of their own spin when they make buttons or badges, and these sorts of items do not exist officially (except maybe as stickers?). Sometimes it's hard to draw a line between the parody/artistic merit and what's not legal; the best we can do is offer guidelines and look at questionable things on a case by case basis.

Mind you guys, I don't want to say any of this stuff to mean "NO, YOU CAN'T COME IN THE CLUB HOUSE" ( even if I am being a jerk about it XP ). But there's been a few trends I've been noticing that I did need to clarify and say, according to how we've run the Alley in the past, these items don't fit. Other conventions have different rules, this is just one particular convention's rules. We've all got our own opinions on all of these matters but it's just coming down to what's best for the convention. And illegal stuff is bad for it XD
Spizzy

Postby Kiriska » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

A-kon's website updated with AA hours and a map today. Looks like all of AA will be together outside the DR with set hours (YESSSSSSSSS). And Saturday hours won't be randomly shorter than Friday hours. Not sure if Thursday hours are set-up only or what though (probably, 'cause otherwise a 3pm opening time is kind of nuts).

No word on reg though. Tralalalalalala anxiety~.
Kiriska

Postby Spizzy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 am

Kiriska wrote:A-kon's website updated with AA hours and a map today. Looks like all of AA will be together outside the DR with set hours (YESSSSSSSSS). And Saturday hours won't be randomly shorter than Friday hours. Not sure if Thursday hours are set-up only or what though (probably, 'cause otherwise a 3pm opening time is kind of nuts).

No word on reg though. Tralalalalalala anxiety~.

Interesting! No more upstairs/downstairs. I wonder if it'll be secure or if we'll still need to take our stuff each night.
Spizzy

Postby tsarren » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 pm

I sure hope it's secure; I can't imagine trying to work a 13 hour day and move / setup / tear down the huge amount of stuff that I have before open and after close. That would be nightmarish.
tsarren

Re: A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Postby Spizzy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 pm

THE WHEELS OF FATE ARE TURNING

table rates added, AA open times added -- yes it will be secured after close; clipped a few things out that don't apply (upstairs/downstairs)
Spizzy

Re: A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Postby Kiriska » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 pm

What's the point of having set hours if it isn't secure? It's a ballroom though, not a hallway, so this makes me think there are doors and doors can usually be locked. 8D Excited! (And I mean, even if there are no doors, the upstairs AA at the old hotel managed anyway.)
Kiriska

Next

Return to 2015