A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Re: A-Kon Rules and FAQ

Postby meauho » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Proz wrote:
Starrydance wrote:
Proz wrote:Can we presume that long-time Con Alley groups will have tables/badges set aside w/o having to pester Hastur? I've been told that we're getting a much better spot unlike the past hallway of doom at the Sheraton.

Thats outside my purview but Id pester until she says shes got it under control - new con/layout who knows what all will shake up oddly.

E-mail sent to AkonAA, no response (as expected). I'll wait until after signup is done to PM her.

MUCH better spot - everybody will be walking right past you.
meauho

Postby Hastur » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Basically, you have to go through the cons to get to the Dealer's Room or the AA, so yeah, pretty good spot.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. - Blaise Pascal
Hastur

Postby X-Chan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

meauho wrote:
X-Chan wrote:Anyone know if the tables will still be 8ft this year? or will they be 6 ft?

They've always been 6'

Oops I don't know why every year I keep thinking they're 8 ft. >.< My mistake.
X-Chan

Postby KrisCynical » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 am

The only con I've ever had an 8' table for was Tokyo in Tulsa, the only time I've ever attended, in 2009. There is a BIG difference between 6' and 8'... I instantly went from arranging everything just so to get it to all fit on the table to OMFG WTF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO FILL THIS ROLLING VALLEY OF SPACE! :shock:
Kristin's Studio
deviantART

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
--Robert Hughes
KrisCynical

Postby oanhderbread » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Hastur wrote:Basically, you have to go through the cons to get to the Dealer's Room or the AA, so yeah, pretty good spot.

Just wondering, with the change in venue and new set up, will attendees require to have badges to get to the artist alley as well? I know in the past the AA was free to attend w/o the need for a badge, but with that having changed at Matsuri's location this year, I wonder if the set up at A-kon's new venue will call for the same policy change? Anyone know?
oanhderbread

Postby KrisCynical » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't know about A-kon, but I know that's why AFest put that stupid black CASTLE for registration up in front of the artist alley... they wanted people to have to have a badge to see it. I told Jenks on the forums that if they were smart they'd put that monstrosity in the BACK of the room and move the AA forward to use all of that space they completely WASTED last year, which would force traffic through the AA and alleviate the Dead Zone at the same time. I don't have high hopes for that, though. They'll probably have that huge thing up front and center again even though it left so LITTLE room for people to actually... you know... stand in line for reg. They literally could have put that reg booth ANYWHERE else in that room and it would have been a better spot than where it actually was. :roll:
Kristin's Studio
deviantART

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
--Robert Hughes
KrisCynical

Postby meauho » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 pm

KrisCynical wrote:The only con I've ever had an 8' table for was Tokyo in Tulsa, the only time I've ever attended, in 2009. There is a BIG difference between 6' and 8'... I instantly went from arranging everything just so to get it to all fit on the table to OMFG WTF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO FILL THIS ROLLING VALLEY OF SPACE! :shock:

We have 8' tables at Comicpalooza
meauho

Postby meauho » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm

oanhderbread wrote:
Hastur wrote:Basically, you have to go through the cons to get to the Dealer's Room or the AA, so yeah, pretty good spot.

Just wondering, with the change in venue and new set up, will attendees require to have badges to get to the artist alley as well? I know in the past the AA was free to attend w/o the need for a badge, but with that having changed at Matsuri's location this year, I wonder if the set up at A-kon's new venue will call for the same policy change? Anyone know?

No. If you look at the map of the venue that's posted, Registration is at the very back of the AA - so everybody has to go through the AA to get to it.
meauho

Postby Ladre » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:44 pm

KrisCynical wrote:I don't know about A-kon, but I know that's why AFest put that stupid black CASTLE for registration up in front of the artist alley... they wanted people to have to have a badge to see it. I told Jenks on the forums that if they were smart they'd put that monstrosity in the BACK of the room and move the AA forward to use all of that space they completely WASTED last year, which would force traffic through the AA and alleviate the Dead Zone at the same time. I don't have high hopes for that, though. They'll probably have that huge thing up front and center again even though it left so LITTLE room for people to actually... you know... stand in line for reg. They literally could have put that reg booth ANYWHERE else in that room and it would have been a better spot than where it actually was. :roll:

I too despise the foreboding black registration fortress. I felt like we were totally hidden behind it, and it made the room seem a bit small and dark. I still did well though, but I really wish they would move it to one of the many other possible locations.
Ladre

Postby chrislea » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm

meauho wrote:
KrisCynical wrote:The only con I've ever had an 8' table for was Tokyo in Tulsa, the only time I've ever attended, in 2009. There is a BIG difference between 6' and 8'... I instantly went from arranging everything just so to get it to all fit on the table to OMFG WTF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO FILL THIS ROLLING VALLEY OF SPACE! :shock:

We have 8' tables at Comicpalooza

I know, I keep thinking, "How am I gonna fill all that SPACE?" XD
chrislea

Postby Kiriska » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

I can't tell you how much I freakin' love 8' tables. I would pay more for an 8' table.
Kiriska

Postby jensequitur » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

I've got oodles and oodles of stuff - 6 ft. square isn't enough. I have to fight every year not to put too much stuff out.
jensequitur

Postby Spizzy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 pm

I have added another FAQ to the end of the Registration section, and added some elaboration to the first FAQ under Rules in regards to some jury process stuff.
Spizzy

Postby onceuponadoodle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 am

My question is more simple... Is being there Thursday night required? We're coming from Kansas City, MO and with my table assistants' work schedules we wouldn't be able to make it down til Thursday fairly late, after the hours are done for Thursday. Are we alright still if we can't make it til Friday? Depending on what time we make it in we might be able to get set up and make a few sales, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch as they say. Please let me know what the rules are about arrivals since the convention isn't technically in full swing til Friday morning, correct?
onceuponadoodle

Postby Spizzy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 am

onceuponadoodle wrote:My question is more simple... Is being there Thursday night required? We're coming from Kansas City, MO and with my table assistants' work schedules we wouldn't be able to make it down til Thursday fairly late, after the hours are done for Thursday. Are we alright still if we can't make it til Friday? Depending on what time we make it in we might be able to get set up and make a few sales, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch as they say. Please let me know what the rules are about arrivals since the convention isn't technically in full swing til Friday morning, correct?

Thursday set up is not mandatory. Friday is fine, but if you're not sure you will be in until after noon on friday, you may want to give us a note so we know you're not a no-show and refrain from sell your table to someone waiting on site. Thursday set up is just for taking the pressure off of friday morning, no one has to go if they don't want to
Spizzy

PreviousNext

Return to 2015