FUNi finally got serious.

Discuss supplies, ask questions, and anything else about the money making side game.

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

FUNi finally got serious.

Postby Proz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Just gonna leave this here: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/colora ... 33/138987/

And this: http://ia601607.us.archive.org/10/items ... 87.1.0.pdf

The majority should know who this is.
Proz

Re: FUNi finally got serious.

Postby Aisha » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't know who it is, but I've got a general idea based on the charges.

Go Funi!
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby meauho » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:47 pm

.... and people keep asking why conventions are cracking down on "fan art"....

Since it is on topic, I think some people would benefit from an except of FUNimation's FAQ on eBay

Q: Why can�t I sell craft items that use FUNimation characters?
A: While the creation of craft items using FUNimation copyrights is infringing, FUNimation [i]does not generally dispute craft items made by fans for their personal use*[/i]. Where, however, those items are listed for sale on eBay, the user is seeking a commercial benefit from his or her infringing conduct. For more information on copyrights see http://pages.ebay.com/community/png-cop ... items.html.
*Emphasis added by me

Q: What if I use artwork that is in the public domain?
A: FUNimation art and characters are not in the public domain. Some operate under the mistaken belief that, if they can download an image from the Internet, that the image is �public domain.� This is not true. Public domain exists either because the copyright term has elapsed or because the copyright owner has not elected to assert copyright ownership. Neither is true with respect to FUNimation art and characters.

In other words, your fan art most likely isn't "Fair USE", and if you are selling or benefiting from its transfer, FUNi considers it a bootleg.
It is also a lot less expensive to go after conventions that allow it than to go after every fan artist.
meauho

Postby meauho » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Aisha wrote:I don't know who it is, but I've got a general idea based on the charges.

Go Funi!

He's also (unaffectionately) known by many artists as "sticker guy"
meauho

Postby Spizzy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 pm

meauho wrote:
Aisha wrote:I don't know who it is, but I've got a general idea based on the charges.

Go Funi!

He's also (unaffectionately) known by many artists as "sticker guy"

omgggg I even remember when he said "you can't be at every convention" how hilarious. FINALLY.
Spizzy

Return to Business of the Alleys