Do prints still sell in AA?

Discuss supplies, ask questions, and anything else about the money making side game.

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Do prints still sell in AA?

Postby cetriya » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I've been reading up feedback on AA at larger cons. I know otakon hasn't passed yet, but talks from AnimeExpo got me wondering, does sales of fanart prints still dominate your earnings? I"m already reading a lot of feedback of con goers not happy with AA selections. Also that sales of prints has gone down, and so has the price.

I've started to see some booth photos and it quickly gets boring and homogenous (going to spruce up mines soon). Which makes me wonder if more attendees don't bother to go to AAs because of this? I'm basing this in contrast to more artist focus cons. Also, basing this with my experience and the experience of others attending NYCC 2012 when you had to trek to get to the AA, yet many artists sold a lot more then previous years, even selling out of original art (didn't see much fan art by non comic promos. It pretty much became a mini indie con) as attendees saw a point to go find stuff there.

What has been your take? what tends do you see coming about?

I've posted this question on my DA, just to let you know.
cetriya

Re: Do prints still sell in AA?

Postby Kiiyame » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I attended AX, but I didn't sell there. From what I saw there were a ton of prints being carried around by attendees? I personally bought more prints than anything else too. And sales wise at cons - I seem to be selling more prints every con I go to. I know that people are getting pickier with the type of prints they buy, so overall I think it just really depends on price and style?
Kiiyame

Postby Ladre » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm

My prints sales have been rising as well, but that may be due to the increasing amount of fanart I've been drawing (although I still sell a decent amount of Originals as well). It is probably also because I've been cutting down on non-print items such as buttons and bookmarks. I get a lot of compliments on my prices which may indicate some people consider some prints to be overpriced. But pricing is such a personal thing to artists I don't want to make anyone doubt their prices.
Ladre

Postby Buzzard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:38 am

Badges have been the bulk of my sales pretty much since the moment I started making them, and print sales have been declining for the last several years. This year, however, my print sales are up significantly-- like, twice as many at this A-Kon as last year, and almost that many at Fiesta Equestria-- with an interesting feature; a lot of people have come up and looked wistfully through my print folios, then when informed that prints are $5 for 8.5x11 or $2.50 for 8.5x5.5, goggling at the price and buying a bunch of 'em. I definitely get the impression that they've passed over other artists' prints as being too steep for them.
Buzzard

Postby Aisha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

This year I've been buying prints if they're a reasonable price. Never really purchased prints before, but I'm really enjoying all the art lately (plus I have my own apartment that needs decorating).
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby cetriya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 am

Buzzard wrote:.. a lot of people have come up and looked wistfully through my print folios, then when informed that prints are $5 for 8.5x11 or $2.50 for 8.5x5.5, goggling at the price and buying a bunch of 'em. I definitely get the impression that they've passed over other artists' prints as being too steep for them.

I've found that purses are a good seller for me as a 'middle' price sale, but most want small prints at 5$ or very large (16x20in +) for like, 25$.

I wonder if its more for the fact that they know the print is temp and they won't hold it as fine art and would like to buy multiples.
cetriya

Return to Business of the Alleys