Where to get Prints Made?

Discuss supplies, ask questions, and anything else about the money making side game.

Moderators: Spizzy, meauho, Hastur, Starrydance

Where to get Prints Made?

Postby AshHavynn » Tue May 27, 2014 6:45 pm

While I'm on the subject of reviving zombie threads from the elderforum, I thought I'd continue my confusion in a print question part two:

Where the heck do you get prints made? What are your experiences?

I usually like catprint if I'm sending the work out, but with so little time before con, I just can't order online.

I've heard (and witnessed, first hand) the horrors of Staples. Seriously. Don't go there.

I used to go to FedEx Office when I needed prints for my typography class, but I'm not sure how they'd do on art prints? Price? Turnaround? Their website isn't very helpful on the price issue, either. I'll have to drive to the local one to get a sample printed for myself, but I was wondering what y'all thought?

I hear "small local print shop" a lot, but the last time I went to one, they charged to use a flash drive and the clerk didn't even speak English.
AshHavynn

Re: Where to get Prints Made?

Postby Aisha » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm

I personally would not advise FedEx. A few years ago, a convention I was with went there to get programs printed. They took nearly TWO DAYS to print and staple about 1000 small programs (they had no other print jobs those two days). And the lady at the FedEx store complained the whole time! My mom went to the UPS store a week later, with a similar printing job, and they had it done in under two hours.

Not sure how they are for art prints, but that's my personal experience with program prints.
AKA ThakYuki
Twitter Etsy deviantART
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.
Aisha

Postby Starrydance » Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 pm

We did okay with Minuteman Press, they are a bit slow (took about 5 days) but as they are local it mattered less.

The prices were a bit higher but the paper selection was nicer than Staples and all them.
Starrydance

Postby AshHavynn » Wed May 28, 2014 6:56 pm

RESULTS

FedEx Office: *
-paper selection was basically flimsy wussy magazine weight or super heavy satin (not gloss) cardstock
-purples printed streaky; not my first streaky experience here either
-$3+ per 11x17 one sided color print
-otherwise prints were clear
-my local one is open until midnight
-decent customer service at my location

The UPS Store: **
-58c per one sided color print!
-same paper choices as FedEx
-printed a bit too dark
-their main color printer went on the fritz when i got there. unreliable??
-secondary printer turned my lavender to a cobalt blue
-ac wasn't on
-closes at 8

Printing at the school library: **
-75c per one sided color print!
-true to life colors!
-24/7 operation I think
-self service
-shoddy copy paper is only paper permissible
-printed off to one side, borders uneven

Local print shop (I used Bird's, since many typography and layout students/professors had recommended it): *****
-good customer service
-lightning fast printers like whoa
-1.33 per print, price goes down by unit with increasing quantity
-better paper than the others! gloss text weight was 100lb, much sturdier but still with that light, poster feel
-almost true to life colors, some blues were iffy but tolerable
-closes at 530

don't even bother with staples please save yourself

The verdict is, Local Print Shops.
Children. I have done the research for you. Others have come up with the same verdict. If you are a new conbaby and you have to use a print shop, look at the local shops and take your flash drive with you so they can print a sample. ask for a printed sample. every place I asked provided me with an 11x17 of one of my prints at no cost, to test my paper selection and print quality.
AshHavynn

Postby Starrydance » Wed May 28, 2014 8:04 pm

In so many things you get what you pay for. Sure you can get the .53 big posters but they look so .... fake. Overblown colors, bad paper.
Starrydance

Postby kieshar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 pm

I got mine done at catprints.com

Friends have been using them for years and I just started using them the first time for akon and they came back amazing!!!
posters.jpg
posters.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
kieshar

Postby Ladre » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm

I've been using Catprint since 2008 (ish) and they have never let me down. They always let me know within 1 day if there is a problem with a file and my prints always arrive on or before the guaranteed date. I've never had anyone there be anything but nice to me whether in email or over the phone.
Ladre

Return to Business of the Alleys